ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 performance !

immaculate clio 172
Hi all,
Random one really, having recently purchased my 2005 Clio 182 does anyone else also feel the performance is a little bit sort of flat unless your ringing it's neck at 5k+ rpm?

Don't get me wrong its great fun as was my 2002 Clio 172 that I owned many years ago but I just feel they aren't particularly fast/powerful in general day to day driving!

Although when having a mad moment the speedo certainly climbs quite rapidly then

Going to get my 182 booked onto local dyno dynamics rollers just to check its doing what it should be

Hoping it's just down the the fact that I've owned many other various cars previously most of which turbo charged and quite a bit more powerful such as 317 bhp mk1 focus Rs :-0

That is all

immaculate clio 172
Yes thought that would be the case after powerful turbo motors
Although I swear my full fat 182 would run rings round most things in the handling department
Definitely more agile than my mk5 golf Gti and even the focus, also prefer it to my ep3 type R
The 182 is a bit hardcore but good fun as my work chariot :cool:

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
When I first got in mine after having a transit connect, I thought it was a proper little pocket rocket.
Now I've had it 12 months, it just feels like a normal car.
Get it above 5k round some nice b roads though and it comes into its own.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You know I was just thinking that when I was driving the Megane today.

Not about your car obviously lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh mate on track no. But around town etc cars of similar performance wouldn't be night and day unless your an absolute tool.

And even on a trackday there is a level of ability. A 'better' car will help but certainly won't make you 'better' if that makes sense.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
RS Tuner remap gives a nice little boost, most in the low-mid range but it gets rid of that nasty jump up at just over 5K.
Idles better as well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You say that and always has when I've done previous clios. But some say they hadn't noticed a change in the famous 5k supercharged vtec beater kick thingy.

Great improvement over a standard car, but locks the ecu

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has the rs tuner on. Can definatley still feel the kick at 5k (which I like)
Fattys induction setup also changes note at 5k.
The cold map is the best thing about it IMO.

Mine never changed tbh with the rs map. Just idled better. But its trues decent powered turbo'd diesel will keep up if not pulls way from an rs clio..shame really.

Long enough stretch I'd imagine the 172/182 would eventually pull away.. crap when you think about it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If you gave a good modern diesel enough of a straight road you wouldn't claw it back. Yeah I know it depends on the car

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, higher revs is a plus.
When you say idles better, do you mean the needle stops bouncing around on the rev counter or the tone of the engine itself?
Because my rev counter needle sits on 1 perfectly but the engine itself sounds like an irregular heartbeat lol

If you gave a good modern diesel enough of a straight road you wouldn't claw it back. Yeah I know it depends on the car

Yeah. I've come up against alot of tdis. Off the lights etc the clio kills them up to stupid speeds. But once rolling, not a chance IME. Pisses me off. Wish i still had my mg zr diesel!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Idles better when cold. When earn it would go back to the warm map.

They do run lumpy though, normal unless the Windows Shake iirc

Yeah, higher revs is a plus.
When you say idles better, do you mean the needle stops bouncing around on the rev counter or the tone of the engine itself?
Because my rev counter needle sits on 1 perfectly but the engine itself sounds like an irregular heartbeat lol

Mine too lee. Normal i think... timing is spot on etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. I've come up against alot of tdis. Off the lights etc the clio kills them up to stupid speeds. But once rolling, not a chance IME. Pisses me off. Wish i still had my mg zr diesel![/QUOTE

You must really hate your car if your wishing for that lol

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Mine vibrates the dash lol.
I don't think the polybushed dogbone helps though either.
Just lets everything vibrate through the car more. Better gear changes though when in race mode.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah fair enough. If you think whatever car you have is quick, do a trackday. You will be surprised what cars are quick and not so quick on paper

immaculate clio 172
Turned into quite a busy thread this one :)
Normal day to day driving I just don't feel like im driving a small car with 180bhp! Once kicking it's head in though I think yes maybe it is!

Definitely going to put it on rollers in next few weeks for peace of mind

Focus RS + S3
Nice power in the RS!

Driving a 172/182 still doesnt fail to put a smile on my face but i do know what you mean.