ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 supperleggras

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
can get them considerable cheaper through Godspeed, or if your a cheap sod like me, go for Hi-spec.

Weeman sucks ****
After speaking to him about them they're not really worth it. He's only got them cos he does a silly amount of trackdays each year. Even Yoz doesn't haven't them iirc, the standard disc sizes and pads are plenty good enough, add hoses and it's even better.

Clio 197
The std calipers have a habit of boiling fluid, and fading pads (heat again), IMO.

I could do with something else TBH...

I've not tried xdrilled/grooved discs... but I think the main enemy is a cast-iron caliper.

The pad and discs are HUGE, but are let-down by the design/material of the std caliper..

Agree with omar about the boiling thing, mushy pedal on a harsh corner is not something i care to repeat too often. Thats an interesting site pye21 let me know how u get on with the email... brakes are one thing im determened to get done.

Mine before I sold my wheels to Mike

CIMG0116.JPG

Not got any pics at work with them on my 182 but will dig some out later for ya

Turbo Beige
The disc kits come with standard size discs, though im not 100% convinced because they guy didn't seem to know what a 182 was only a Clio 2 Sport 20.lt 16v 1999 on, in his words.

they do a disc and caliper kit that has 305mm discs 4pots etc but its £1522.75 plus vat.
Might see if they do just the 305mm discs by themselves and get some brackets made up for the caliper.

Weeman sucks ****
edgerfs said:
Agree with omar about the boiling thing, mushy pedal on a harsh corner is not something i care to repeat too often. Thats an interesting site pye21 let me know how u get on with the email... brakes are one thing im determened to get done.

I've done quite a few trackdays and never had a mushy pedal but that might be because I have a 172 rather the 182. Most people I speak towho have 182's have had issues with their brakes.

MKIII 138
CHRIS172CUP said:
I've done quite a few trackdays and never had a mushy pedal but that might be because I have a 172 rather the 182. Most people I speak towho have 182's have had issues with their brakes.

agree ^^^ ive not had any probs in the cup but thatm ay be because there bigger and the cars lighter.

btw what make is the roll cage, where can you get one of those done ??

omar said:
The std calipers have a habit of boiling fluid, and fading pads (heat again), IMO.

I could do with something else TBH...

I've not tried xdrilled/grooved discs... but I think the main enemy is a cast-iron caliper.

The pad and discs are HUGE, but are let-down by the design/material of the std caliper..

Hi Omar

Dunno if you know, but... The race Clio's use standard discs but Mintex race pads. I use Mintex, which I bought from Mark Fish for about £75. They make a little noise, but I can put hand on heart and say that I haven't had a brake fade since, even on the track with really heavy breaking. I use to only be able to do about 4 heavy laps round Bedford until the breaks started to boil, now its a case of being nice to the tyres and letting the engine have a rest.

The down side is that they wear the disc's, but FGS do them for £35 each and in the long run it's cheaper to buy the pads and replace the discs than it is to get a big break kit and you have to clean the wheels more as the dust can bake on if you leave the dust on more than a couple of weeks (oooppps this proves I only wash the car every 2 months!!),

The plus side is that you don't have to change wheels etc, or risk servo issues later.

Cheers, Lewy.

CHRIS172CUP said:
The 182 would seem to suffer from brake fade due to the wheels design nothing else the pads etc are all the same. The wieght/power difference doesn't make any difference realy IMO. Its the calipers which cannot disipate heat well bigger disks won't realy help. Fog light ducting will help but 4 pots are the only real option. You can get harder pads DS2500 etc but as people have said they eat disks since there hard pads and will squeek and not be too good from cold. Personally I wouldn't accept eating disks etc due to the milage and lazyness of myself. Plus even at the cheap prices people pay for bits (relitively) if you go through a few sets of pads doing high milage different calipers would work out good value.

Clio 197
Sorry for highjacking the syperlegg thread, lol!

Thx for the replies guys: I've got a set of DS2500 and new discs and hoses to fit soon.

We'll see how it goes.

I'm going to combine that with race-fluid, and hopefully I never get fade again!

If all else fails - 4 or 6 pot calipers for xmas.