ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 advice please

Hi guys, im looking to buy a 172 before xmas preferably as new as possible. I have seen one advertised, its a 2003 172 in Black, 20k, in immaculate condition. Only thing is, its an import. The price is £8995 but he said its negotiable because he wants to sell so i think £8500 is very possible. Is this a good price for this car or is it to steep because its an import???

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Matt

Doesntsound to bad if you can get it for £8.5k even better if you can get close to £8k.

172s dont seem to be selling very well IMO maybe as its close to Christmas so you can try and offer less.

Have a serch on autotrader or equivilent cars.

Make sure if it is an import that it has an alrm fitted as that can add an extra £250 or so onto the bill as many insurance companies demand one and imports arnt fitted with them.

i would be a bit weary of a newish car that has only 1 key.

p.s i reckon you could get a better price than 8k if you bear in mind 182s are going for around 10k

some imports came with just 1 key, bear in mind that there over £100 for another one.

also you should be able to get a uk car for less

Quote: Originally posted by JayGTT on 09 December 2004

watch your insurance m8 imports cost A LOT more, get a quote before you buy :D
not really true, most wont even ask, and those that do wont charge much extra if anyhting

EVO VII

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 09 December 2004

not really true, most wont even ask, and those that do wont charge much extra if anyhting
but wont it void your insurance, as it is an import. i had an import 300zx tt, the price doubled as soon as i mentioned it was a import.

black golf v6 4 motion

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 09 December 2004

but wont it void your insurance, as it is an import. i had an import 300zx tt, the price doubled as soon as i mentioned it was a import.

no i checked with insurance company if it is imported from an EU country no extra charge but non EU will cost a bit more dont know how much though

Quote: Originally posted by MattR172 on 09 December 2004

ok thanks mate, also he said it only had 1 key. Is this a problem??
Be warry it should have two keys, if you want do to Renault and get them to check how many keys the system has enabled on it and get any other keys removed.

Insurance so long as you have locking nuts an alarm and the etched glass should be the same price although a few places will try get some more money from you.

They should charge less since its the same as a Uk spec car, and they pay less when/if you do a full claim as imports are generally worth less than full UK cars.

Ok guys thanks for the advice. Can anybody recomend anywhere i could find a mint 52 or 03 172 for about £8k besides autotrader ???

Suzuki SV650

If it helps I just picked up a Mark 2 172 with 21000 miles on the clock, FRSH in flame red for £7950. Oh, its a 51 plate too (Dec 2001)

I would love to mate, but with the insurance being so steep with me being 21 i cant quite afford one but ill be more than happy with a mint 172.

Is the interior a different colour in the 182s to the 172s??

Quote: Originally posted by MattR172 on 10 December 2004

I would love to mate, but with the insurance being so steep with me being 21 i cant quite afford one but ill be more than happy with a mint 172.

Is the interior a different colour in the 182s to the 172s??

the belts are silver in the 182 black in the 172 the inserts in the dash are satin silver on the 182 but patterned silver on the 172 and the perforations in the alcantara is backed with lighter material so it shows up more on the 182 apart from that theyre pretty much identical.

fat 182

my 182 is the same as my mates 172. the seats are slightly diffrent the 182 got little holes in the alcanta

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Dont be afraid of imports... no clios are built in the UK so they are all imports, its whether you buy it from a dealer (who fits alarm, etches windows) or not.

I have an import and im paying £400/year fully comp, im 26.

If you were going for the car above just be sure to do the usual like HPI/AA check etc. Ask him what happend to the other key etc. A replacement key from renault would be over £100 ! so use that to haggle the price.

Suzuki SV650

Its when they etch something like a code or the reg plate of the car into the windows to help prevent theft or something...?

Just spoke to the chap again and he said it doesnt have an alarm and it only came with 1 key. I could use this to try and knock another £250 off the price maybe?? Insurance quote was very good with admiral, i put the regestration number in and it knew it was an import. Do you think the quote would have taken in to account the fact that it didnt have an alarm??

Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by MattR172 on 10 December 2004

Just spoke to the chap again and he said it doesnt have an alarm and it only came with 1 key. I could use this to try and knock another £250 off the price maybe?? Insurance quote was very good with admiral, i put the regestration number in and it knew it was an import. Do you think the quote would have taken in to account the fact that it didnt have an alarm??
They will probably demand an alarm but maybe not.

Id get one fitted regardless though personally.

Worth a try saying you can only get insured with an alarm so youd like to get some money off to pay for it.

Suzuki SV650

I wouldnt buy a 172 without an alarm either unless its garaged or something, you should as edde says, get some money off for the alarm and also the spare key!

Have you gone to view any other ones? Its always useful to go and view a few 172/182s before you decide on one.

Mini Cooper S sport

Bought my 03 plate 172 back in June for £9000. It was an import and didnt have an alarm (I paid to get one fitted). The price youve been offered sounds about right - you should be able to get it for £8,500 or less.

Ok mate, was it a straight forward job to get one fitted?? Also did it have 1 key or 2??

Was it a private sale when you bought your 172??

Does anyone know the exact price of a key from renault?? Also is one key a master key or something which is very important or are both keys the same??

Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by MattR172 on 12 December 2004

Does anyone know the exact price of a key from renault?? Also is one key a master key or something which is very important or are both keys the same??

Cheers
about £110, key alone costs around £70 then they have to program your car to it