ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and 5 turbo owner new to forum

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Hi all I'm new to the clio club but have always been a renault fan owning my 5 turbo for 5 years now. A friend of mine had a 172 a few years ago and I was alway impressed by the way they perform and handle so recently decided to buy one as a car in-between tinkering with the 5 and using it to comute to work when the trucks not needed which is.quite alot recently. Absolutely love it. Your going to be thinking ahh here we go his one of them but I had a play with a m3 not long ago down some twizzlies and short straights and I was pretty much pushing him and causing him to twitch on bends and he genuinely wasn't getting away on the straights...I was absolutely tearing it though using the gears as much as poss keeping it above 5k. But even so, me and the passenger of my car were pretty exited over it and suprised. After doing this and having a few more weeks of driving it in the sun I've decided next month I'm going to book it in to engine dynamics for there low boost turbo kit and clutch. But before I do this I need to improve the ride as it's very crashy and bouncy at times. It has standard shocks and apx springs so not really too suprised. Read alot about the apex springs and unfortanatly I'll have to agree with people who say there crashy and bang alot as mine do. And lately there's been a new knock when going.over bumps it sounds like somethings loose but after taking it all apart and checking.its all tight it still does it. The rear exhaust mount had perished so I thought maybe that was banging about and causing.the engine to rock but after changing it no luck. although less engine.movement and a little more torque and sturdy Ness back. Have also changed the drivers side top mount and driveshafts as there was a vibration through the car and wobble in the steering when I got it so replaced them along with inner and outer track rod.ends and 4 decent tryes but there's still something out with the steering and this horrible loose sounding knock still. Looking for coilovers at tge moment and although I'm turbo'ING it I'm not going sill or on track just a cruiser with some.motorway and.occasional b Road power. I have gaz on my 5 for 3 years now and they've been brilliant. Bur I read on here there not so good so looks like h&r are the ones to go for but there pretty pricey!. Any help and advice would be much appreciated and I'll be looking to come to some events or any local meets if there's any down here in the south East.
DSC_0108.JPG

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Also another quick one. With the poly bush steering rack bushes do I need 1 or 2?. Only confused as on the description on ebay for them is says quantity needed 1? Thanks again

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome Baron. I can't help with the clio as I'm new to them myself, but I'm gagging to set the 5 as I've had 3 over the years and live them to pieces!

182 arctic
hi bud.. i have two clios 172 one i just fitted with cooksports and cup shocks... and another with ebach pro lines.. i would say on the road the pro lines ride better... than the cooksports...
pics of said 5 turbo?

182 arctic
oh and engine dynamics just down the road from me.. i got my eye on the turbo kit... so hurry up and do it and tell us all about it :)

Clio 172, r5 turbo
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG

There the only 2 I have as I've recently got a new phone but I'll take some.pics when I Polish her up this weekend.its abit faster than the clio to 70ish Running 15psi on standard t2 turbo but just bought a T25 for it so hoping for some big power. Engines fully rebuilt with skimmed pistons and a piper285 cam. Carbs rebuild and de chocked. Hoping for 180 - 200 mark.

Attachments

• DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 59
  Clio 172, r5 turbo
And Andyj I was looking into coilovers .Can't help it I just love the "lows". Don't mind the bounce or general knocking but just don't want it as crashy as it is.

Welcome matey... small world!

If you put the effort into the Clio that you've done with the 5's and the 106's you'll be fine.

This forum is jam packed with all the answers to everything, usually Google "cliosport" then whatever you need to know in fewer words and you find it no issues.

I have a set of KTEC coilovers in great nick but they probably need unseizing height adjustment wise

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Bot of a update and a few pics. Bought some 18month year old 2nd hand blisterien b14s for a bargain from a member on here and also got vibra technics engine mounts polybushed arb bushes and polybush steering rack bushes all to be fitted hopefully this Monday. Will have to roughly judge the camber and get it down for tracking Tuesday if all goes well!. Here's a few pics of the clio and as promised tge 5 turbo...and even the ranger in the background. Happy nice sunny 60mile cruise in the turbo today...love it.
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Welcome matey... small world!

If you put the effort into the Clio that you've done with the 5's and the 106's you'll be fine.

This forum is jam packed with all the answers to everything, usually Google "cliosport" then whatever you need to know in fewer words and you find it no issues.

I have a set of KTEC coilovers in great nick but they probably need unseizing height adjustment wise
It sure is mate Haha! Yeah lots planned for the clio and the 5 this year!. I just got some blisteren coilovers otherwise I may have had the ktecs! Done much to your clio?

Clio 172, r5 turbo
Fitted the blisterien b14s today and although the tracking/ camber is out it feels so much better on the road now...bit still has this annoying rattle somewhere near the drivers side wheel when going.over bumps it's such a pain in the arse!!! Fitted vibra technics engine mount Aswell which has made a nice difference! Going to.lettge local garage do bushes and gearbox mount tomorow or Wed and get the tracking all sorted. Was a little disappointed that the rear won't go as low as I wanted. There ment to be 60mm drop but even without the coilovers cups it's the same as my 40mm apex springs. Can you get a rear low coilovers setup? Just a low spring and coilovers cup?
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG