ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and Celica's

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
After reading the post on here about New style Toyota Celica's.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=275849&page=4

What or how would a 172 rate against the 140 Celica and Celica 190 Gt and T Sport models ? :S

I take it there a better all round car are they ?

Performance and Handling wise..

You must be joking. Power to weight they lose out. Also the chassis is longer. Very tight corners we'll ave' em'!!!:)

After reading the post on here about New style Toyota Celica's.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=275849&page=4

What or how would a 172 rate against the 140 Celica and Celica 190 Gt and T Sport models ? :S

I take it there a better all round car are they ?

Performance and Handling wise..

You must be joking. Power to weight they lose out. Also the chassis is longer. Very tight corners we'll ave' em'!!!:)

Is the Clio hoestly that good in the corners in standard spec form ?

Or are you talking about a clio on coilies or lowering springs against the celica ?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
They're quite nice in a reliable and safe kind of way. Handling is competent, as is the engine, but they're pretty dull to be honest. Think of it as a pretty Corolla - probably a good car but you'll have forgotton it before you've even got 10 feet away.

Dan

Focus RS mk1
ive driven loads of celica tsports and 140bhp celicas, i work for lexus but we are joint with toyota so work on them also, 172 is quicker than the celica tsport but it would be close. the brakes on the celicas are unbelivably poor always corroding and glazing front and rear!! reliable engine wise and sound great when screaming at full revs. but brakes are a real problem on them.

The T Sports have 190bhp don't they ?

And a 172keeps up with them ?

Thats not bad going ?

Is the brakes on the 172 better than the Celica ?

Focus RS mk1
they do have 190bhp but a civic type r has 200bhp and there is not much in it between 172 and civic type r. the clio feels like it has more pull and doesnt have to be revved so hard to get the power unlike the celica which has to be right up in the rev range to get the VVTL-I. the brakes on the clios are alot better ive never had a problem with corroding discs, glazed discs and pads, seized caliper pins and pistons. I would much rather have 172.

Ah right glad to here my clio is still up to competing with cars with bigger bhp's :)

Have you any views on a Civic Type R ?

Focus RS mk1
ive had alot of runnings with type r (ep3) and never lost to one yet, at the time i only had green panel filter removed accustic valve and 172 orbisoud race system de-cat. it rr tested at 174bhp which is about right for those mods. now i have cams fitted and its so much quicker than a type r! im expecting it to be around 190-195bhp. its not all about bhp its about gear ratios driver ability and power to weight and the clio is pretty good on all of these

ive had alot of runnings with type r (ep3) and never lost to one yet, at the time i only had green panel filter removed accustic valve and 172 orbisoud race system de-cat. it rr tested at 174bhp which is about right for those mods. now i have cams fitted and its so much quicker than a type r! im expecting it to be around 190-195bhp. its not all about bhp its about gear ratios driver ability and power to weight and the clio is pretty good on all of these

I didn't thin 174 bhp would be enough to give a type r greif :S

But hey how wrong am i.

What/where did you get your cams from and fitted by ?

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
^^I might be judging harshly but both these drivers look like they've never driven the circuit before. All their lines are off etc, so don't put too much stock in how the cars compare. It seems more to do with the driver on track, and in the real world the clio is much more usable. Don't worry yourself about this kind of thing d1cky, there's not much point. Cars like these, driven to the max, are all pretty close. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Focus RS mk1

But hey how wrong am i.

not always about the bhp buddy! dnt get me wrong they aint bad ive drove one and it was a nice drive loved the gearbox. but everyone ive come up against i have just gently pulled away from them. cams was fitted at k-tec and had re-map done aswell and the car was so much smoother to drive alot more responsive and so much quicker.

But hey how wrong am i.

not always about the bhp buddy! dnt get me wrong they aint bad ive drove one and it was a nice drive loved the gearbox. but everyone ive come up against i have just gently pulled away from them. cams was fitted at k-tec and had re-map done aswell and the car was so much smoother to drive alot more responsive and so much quicker.

I see, your car sounds a weapon now.

A wee Tyre R killer ;)

Can i ask ?

How much did the cams, remap etc sting you at K Tec ?

better car than a 172. Nicer interior (miles nicer), better driving position and general build quality laughs at anything French. To put simply, in a different league.

So they are only as fast as a 172, who cares, it's a better car

Focus RS mk1
cams, remap and cam belt around £1,300. well worth it. just hope it dnt blow the engine like mine

That aint a bad price for all that work ;)

How is it to run ?

And how long did it take to do that ?

it ran a whole lot smoother, power delivery was alot better and from 4000rpm up it took off made a massive difference. well the fault would seem to be a problem that was already there which the extra power just brought it to surface. it happened within 3 days of having the work done and around 250-300 miles.