ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 clio information

ph1 172 300zx tt
hi im going to pick up a 172 in the next week or so how do I tell if its a cup version or not im looking to use it for work and track days as a cheap run around compared to the 300zx twin turbo I have for weekends. it would be more a use and abuse car but I want to sort the suspension brakes and give it alittle more power so advice on all would be great this is my first ever fwd car my first ever non turbo and my first non jap lol so new teritory completely

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The cup version should have a cup badge on the door and the rear seats are just a bench type backrest without any headrests. The dampers are different as well as far as I know.

PH2 RS172
if not messed about with it shouldnt have climate control.... hids... abs... or leather. it should have.....bigger cup spoiler and turinis.

ph1 172 300zx tt
hmm I dont think its a cup its 2001 silver and tatty but I picked it up today and it was a laugh to drive

has only aircon (not for long lol) no hid's no leather and no washer jets for lamps has shite wheels but I will have to check if it has abs theres no light it doesn't say cup on the doors no bigger spoiler either

​can I tell off shell codes?

ph1 172 300zx tt
p.s understeer sucks !!!! but any performance upgrade ideas would be good as would suspension upgrading ideas need to make it handle better

172 CUP
A 172 Cup's VIN number will start like - vf1cb1ndf
A normal 172 VIN number will be like - vf1cb1n0f

ph1 172 300zx tt
yeah its got the Renault sport half leathers and yeah tbh £480 isn't that bad it needs hardly any work interior is good paint needs a good polish all it needs is an engine mount and the exhaust fitting correctly it bangs against the floor maybe s**t rubbers thats all it failed mot on will be legal by this afternoon
then to make vast improvements all round :D

ph1 172 300zx tt
phoned Renault its a 172 but not a cup its a phase 2 as well but it has a phase 1 front end I checked its never been recorded damaged and underneath everything is straight and original no signs of overspray ect im quite confused by it so im going to put all the phase2 bits on it and get it ready for a few track days
any of you guys from Southampton?

ph1 172 300zx tt
Renault said definitely sold as phase 2 it is on a y plate what I presume happened was the panels got damaged and it worked out cheaper to fit a whole phase 1 front end

​aslong as the performance parts off each fit thats all I care about :)

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
All sounds a bit odd eh. What colour is Renault Sport stitching to the front seats, coloured or grey? And as mentioned, is it a cable throttle?

When you say you asked Renault, do you mean Renault UK or your local Rensult dealer? Did you give them the VIN number?

I think we need some pics :)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
It sounds very much like a phase 1, If youve been told by a dealer its a phase 2 they (or you) could be confused with it being a Mark 2 clio.
Other indication of phase 1 are:
Rear lights: If they are largely red they are phase 1, if they have a big white circle in the midle for indicators and reverse its a Phase 2. Obviously these can be replaced, but another sign.
Dashboard: If it has silver or blue strips its phase 2, if not phase1.

ph1 172 300zx tt
I shall put up pics later but it has kinda smoked back lights and yeah gave them vin number and reg said it was definitely a mk2 phase 2 originally why is the phase 2 front end cheaper?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Strange one this, to put a ph1 front end on a ph2. You cleared up which you have yet

Doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with it. Enjoy it!