ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Conversion

Not been on here for a while, i sold my MK1 Clio for a Megane Coupe a while back.

Anyway,
I've been looking into a 172 conversion for sometime. I'm comfortable with the mechanical side of things but the electrical side puzzles me.

The Megane shares alot of characteristics with the clio, mine is a 1.6 16v same engine as the clio.

Anyone had a conversion done, who did it? prices? and how difficult is the electrical side?, etc. I've spoke to k-tec and they want £2k.

Any info. would be great.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Just buy a 172 as they're so cheap now. Plus you could have trouble selling your meggy with a enengine conversion. I bet that £2k doesn't include about £1k for a 172 engine either.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Buy a 2.0 litre meggy?

EDIT: The coupe is available as a 2.0. He could get one of those and do mods to get a good performance gain. If he really wants a fast meggy that much. It all starts to get very cost ineffective though. It's only worth it if he wants to keep the car for a long, long time.

Last edited:
  BMW Z4 3.0i
I edited my post cos while I would not bother spending that amount of money on modifying a megane, I can understand how some people do like to mod cars and are happy to spend the extra to be different.

Turbos.
The Megane is a sporty looking car whereas you could argue the Clio is a boring run of the mill hatchback. There aren't many affordable coupes out there that are actually quicker than an average hot hatch.

I think it would be a pretty cool conversion. A brand new engine costs around £1.5k so if you hunted around a scrappy who didn't know better might sell a used one for £500. I have bought a Rover V8 for £200 so it can be done.

I really like the look of my Megane, i have spent nearly 2K on bodywork/kit and its going back to have more done in a few weeks (i will post a pic later).

I've also spent alot on ICE and Interior, the only part i haven't really touched is the engine and i think this type of conversion would be great and help the car get into a mag.

The 2.0 Meggy is 150bhp (williams engine - this is a Phase1, mine is a Phase2)

The 2.0 Meggy (phase2) is 140bhp IDE engine and this is one of the rarest engines to find mods for.

Anyone on here built there own 172 sleeper clio?

There a few 172 sleepers.
However why got buy an F7R ie a Williams engine.
Or better still buy my tunned Williams take the engine etc out and sell it in bits.