ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Conversion

1.2 16v Dynamique

Has anyone done a 172 conversion?... Is it reliable? How much did it cost?

Any information would be greatly appreciated ;)

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

To be honest it really isnt worth it in my opinion.
When i had my 1.2 i made enquires about it because id spent around 2.5k doing up my car and all that was wrong was the fact that it was just too slow.
Its very involved because i believe its just not a case of dropping in a new engine, other changes have to be made like brakes upgraded,different clutch.
It sounds to me as your considering this as an option rather than putting your car back to standard?
When i got round to it i just walked in to my renault dealer and found out how much extra it would cost.
I got my name on the list for a 2nd hand 172.
Two months later they found me a 52plate.
On finance it was another £60 a month and on insurance i got a result of only having to pay another £10 a month!!

But if you really want a conversion then speak to fred2001dynamique as i think his doing one on his car.

1.2 16v Dynamique

My car is totally standard at the moment mate.

I was enquiring because yes, a 1.2 is far too slow for me now and would like to upgrade, but I wanted to go for a sleeper look :cool:

You know what I mean? Stripped out interior, bucket seats + harnesses, roll cage and then just a carbon bonnet and some 16" RVS Turbo rims on the outside...

I reckon its more hassle than its worth from what uve said so looks like im gonna have to buy a 2nd car :D

this is what im doing with mine... but ive gone the full hog with mine & its pretty much the only thing left to do...

& the funny thing is, that its cheaper to insure my car with a 172 engine rather than a 172 with the same mods as mine! a bit silly really...

but its a bit involved... the guy on here "J3ned" used to have a 172 engine in his orange clio before the TT engine, & it seemed to work fine & very reliable...

as far as i can remember, its Engine lump, gearbox, ecu & keys (or aftermarket ecu), wiring loom, driveshafts, hubs, front brakes, front suspension, clutch & clocks.
cost wise... im guessing your looking around the 3k supplied & fitted of everything. (2nd hand bits mind you)

[Edited by connor on 28 July 2005 at 10:41am]

1.2 16v Dynamique

TT engine? :eek:

As in Audi TT?

3k dont seem too bad actually, might have to seriously consider this... I would love to go the whole way and put a turbo on :D

Could you give me a link for your car on cardomain.com please connor?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

1.8 audi TT engine...its in a "orange" 1.2 clio!!!

the car used to be a stripped out shell with 1 seat, cup engine and dash and NOS shot, but that wasnt fast enough for him!!!

a turbo conversion on a 172/182 is circa £6K...dont know about it for a 1.2, but with the rest that would need to be upgraded to cope with the extra power and speed...would be silly money IMO.

yeah mate the audi TT 225 engine hes got in it! very special! all sleeper look mate,

nice shade of dirty orange with black bumpers and steelies lol!

j-man, i havent actually made a website or a page on cardomain yet, ive just been using it as an uploader. ive got piccies scattered about the place tho if u want one!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i know everyones probably going to disagree with me but why build a car you can buy fair enough putting a 2.0 in 16v cause williams are hard to find but 172s are so easy to get hold of.Also didnt the 172 engine in j3neds clio keep breaking

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 28 July 2005

i know everyones probably going to disagree with me but why build a car you can buy fair enough putting a 2.0 in 16v cause williams are hard to find but 172s are so easy to get hold of.Also didnt the 172 engine in j3neds clio keep breaking

The engine blew 3 times.........but then again it was highly tuned and i was injecting a 75bhp of nitrous into it - basically the piston rings shattered. Other than that they are very reliable

Other than that its an easy conversion and took 2 days to do - absolute doddle !!! its well worth it - i can sell you a complete conversion kit with everything you need for £1500 + vat

1500 + vat... new or second hand?

oh, and 336bhp to the front wheels must be crazy... what kind of performance times do you get with it?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

£1500 + vat used.............336bhp is extreme fun with boost power that blows you away - lol :D The LSD helps a lot and traction isnt to bad actually !!

As for performance figures on the old turbo i got a 12.9 @ 112. The new unit has not been put to the test yet, but a jabba sport golf with the same unit has achieved an 11.7 @ 127mph

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Ive seen this thing go up the strip at Santa Pod.
Let me say very impressed :D

Goin back on the conversion-i just think for the hassle its going to cause you might as well just upgrade the car unless you REALLY know what your doing i wouldnt even consider doing it myself.
Plus 172 up from a 1.2 comes with all the little extras and looks nicer in my opinion.

yeah i know what u mean mate. i would prefer to upgrade the whole car. but if i want an engine conversion i know who to contact lol.

1.2 16v Dynamique

j3ned total respect to you buddy!!! :cool:

That is definetley a very cool sleeper, im gonna sh*t myself everytime I see an orange clio now lol :oops:

Does £5k include everything required to fit the TT engine?

connor that would be great if you could post some pics of your car up please?... :)

MERCEDES CLS AMG

£5k will get you everything you need and about 285bhp. The labour isnt included in that so unless you are gonna do it yourself add another £2k onto that.

matt.... thats £1762.50 for all the bits which means you just gotta pay for labour to get it done yeah? what bits does that include exactly?

and would you do it for £1500 cash ??

& could you suggest anyone that can do it & how much approx i would be looking at to get it done ?

I was looking at Angelworks doing it.

heres some piccies j-man...

http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic

http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=453http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=453

http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic

http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=452http://www.shmcc.co.uk/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=452

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/mattferret/IMG_2424.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/davidkn/DSC03553b.jpg

[Edited by connor on 28 July 2005 at 3:30pm]

cheers for the compliments!

got the grills free so couldnt really complain... looking at powercoating them black before i waste money on getting original renault grills.

should look pretty good with a set of oz f1s in matt black to compliment them :D

but 172 roof check, 172 front bumper & wings check, 172 interior check, just need the engine etc now ;)

& spray carbon fibre :eek: thats criminal! looks good when complimented with the spoiler i reckon!

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

cf bonnets arent really my thing though, i prefer a more subtle look.

although..! can see me liking it with black grilles!

bump... a couple of unanswered questions for matt (j3ned)

cheers mate, i reckon the grills would look alot better done in black to, but who would powdercoat them for me?

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 28 July 2005

matt.... thats £1762.50 for all the bits which means you just gotta pay for labour to get it done yeah? what bits does that include exactly?
and would you do it for £1500 cash ??

& could you suggest anyone that can do it & how much approx i would be looking at to get it done ?
Matt charges £3k drive in drive out which is good value and they know what there doing so you know its a fixed price.

For your £1.5k+ vat you get everything you need from a doner car ie engine gearbox, looms, ecu, radiators, all the wiring etc. All you need to do it fit it all its the wiring not so much the instalation whcih takes time.

edde - as far as i was aware matt stopped doing this a while back as its not worth his time or somet....

maybe he could confirm this coz i was going to go ahead with that 3k+Vat or 3k cash all in but like i said, i think hes stopped doing that so im speaking with angelworks at the moment.

edde, does that also include driveshaft, hubs, brakes, calipers & suspension all round ?

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 29 July 2005

edde, does that also include driveshaft, hubs, brakes, calipers & suspension all round ?
Your best giving him a ring realy see what he says but maybe its not worth the effort for him.

Yep it includes all that stuff its basically the whole front end ASAIK almost.

You could always but that 5 door conversion 172 from him and swop the 1.2 into that and that engine into your car.

1.2 16v Dynamique

Bump...

I would really like to know prices including labour to have a Megane 225 engine installed, if possible that is? :D

172 cup'd extreme