ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup alternator 2002

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
Hi,

I have been told that my clio 172 cup has the wrong alternator in, which is causing it to break the alternator adjuster and cause a squeak. Is this likely, how many different alternators can there be for clio sports 172's? I know there are different belts but are there that many?

Please help

Well initially I took it to the garage as there was squeaking coming from the alternator belt, they said the adjuster has broken so they replaced that £70, then it was still squeaking so I took it back, he said ah it needs a new belt, £11 (even though renault parts are more than this) Sqeaking came back after 1month so have taken it to someone else, formula1 - they said that the adjuster has broken as the belt that was put on is incorrect and is too long, causing the adjuster to be tightened too much. It needs a new belt and adjuster.

Took it back to the original mechanic and they are now saying it is not the belt as it is the correct part, but it is the wrong alternator, causing the adjuster to break and not the belt. My car is ex cat d, so is a slim chance that bodge up parts could have been used but surely not an incorrect alternator.

Any advise?

cock mobile.
Arh CAT-D! :S

I would take it back to the orginal mechanic and say, the problem I asked you to fix is still there, you sold me parts (and charged labour) for a job that had no affect on the problem, therefore I want a sizeable discount on fixing the problem.

In the mean time try to source an alternator from a breakers (unless you can afford to get a new one).

The Cup has a different alternator to stanard 172's so possible the wrong one or the wrong belt has been used.

172 cup'd extreme
yep edde is right,but the 172 alternator will not fit the cup AT ALL it wont physically fit. from what you have said it sounds like they have put the wrong belt on and tightened it up with the brass adjuster, it also sounds like its too tight

Yeah that is what formula 1 said when I took it to them, they said the wrong belt has been put on and they have tightened it too much. So I went back to them and said look I have had a mechanic check it out for me, basically you have put on the wrong belt (one that is too long) and you have tightened it up too much to compensate for the length.
After 2 days in the yard they have come back and said that the belt is correct but it is the wrong alternator, he said the guy that repaired the cat d must have just got a spare off the shelf and put it in.

I'll go back to formula 1 and get them to check it for me, I think that they would have identified it the first time I went to them as they spent a while on it and were really good and didn't charge me.

Thanks for all your help guys