ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup car race exhaust.....

CTR EK9 turbo

I have a new contact who prepares race cars, one being a clio cup car in Hampshire and Id like to get my hands on a cup car exhaust. This i can do, but he tells me (after making a few phone calls) that the whole exhaust including manifold is £925. But, after looking in my engine bay, he says that my 2001 March 172 mk.1 already has the 4-branch manifold. I looked under the cup car and couldnt see a CAT, but he tells me its there? where?! or does the manifold go directly into one? would this exhaust be road legal (they are rather loud!) and would the racing CAT also be legal? Id really like to get this exhaust soon, as the new ECU hes fitted seems to be crying out for one. Thats that group n stage one ECU i was talking about ages ago!

is it the magneti marelli ingnition system?

all 172s have the 4 branch tubular manifold.

there is no noise limit foe exhausts on the road, as there is no way of testing them under the same conditions....race cats are legal, you can run without one too if you want. but 900 odd quid is a bit much for a steel exhaust.

CTR EK9 turbo

I dont know much about the ECU, all I was told was that it was for a group N rally(?) Clio. Its a stage one 732(?) something or other. Ill look for the receipt with the numbers on it etc. Externally, the ECU looks identical to the original one, but some of the numbers are different, i think it says "51" on the outside instead of something else. It has raised the rev limiter to about 7600 rpm (which is handy ) and seems to have changed the torque band a bit. Sometimes it feels faster than normal, sometimes the opposite. The guy who fit it said the regulations for the group n class permitted only weight reduction, suspension change and chip and maybe brakes. I asked the guy if i needed an exhaust and he said not neccessary, and it was supposed to work with the original equipment, standard exhaust(?). When driving it, it seems to strangle at around 6000-7000 rpm and i think it could do with an exhaust!

an exhaust can be too loud
if it is audioably causing a disturbance u can done for this.

just as with have a too loud sound system, unlikely to get done for it but it can be done.

anything after a jplate needs a cat for mot but does it need it to make it legal?

ie put one on for the mot and then take it off

you can take an MOT without a cat, aslong as it passes the emissions test.

There are no rules for noise on the road, but yeah, a cop can give you a ticket which requires you to get the car tested, but you go to a garage, they cant test it (no sound equipment) so its dropped.

My Mate is a MOT trainer and i found out about 3 days ago, as i thought mine was too loud.....106dcbls!

CTR EK9 turbo

BenR - what mods have you done to your 172? and what exhaust do you think i should go for on my 172? would it be silly for me to get the cup exhaust? Im also a student, but ive just finished my degree and probably going on to do a masters in september.

My mate has a team of 4 Clio Cup race cars and doesnt particularly rate the Orbisound exhaust (esp. not at £900!). Still, you dont get a choice if you compete in the series!

I think you can do far better for the road with the likes of H&S, Magnex, etc.

CTR EK9 turbo

Hi. I suppose so really. They dont look particularly good either - i.e, not stainless steel, but seem to do the job and dont look in yer face which is not what i want. To be honest, i havent seen an exhaust that looks like its supposed to be there on a 172 other than the remus twin pipe jobby. The good thing about the cup exhaust is that it suits the back of the car and is literally, just a pipe - presumably tuned length and gives the correct back pressure(?) Have you thought of cup-speccing your car?

My clio is standard, but development starts next week to make a 200bhp kit for other clios.

The orbisound aint the best no, they dont have to try too hard once commisioned. But i like it, i dont like stainless etc etc, i just want purposeful. and i like a plain 2" end in steel....race stylee.

Its deffo better than magnex though.

i would get the cup exhaust, but at 900 quid!!!

you could get a H&S for 1/2 that!

as far as tunning an exhaust, its just about making use of pulse tunning, which is a black art, there is no mathematics that you can really use. Its mostly trail and error, but the manifold is more important, but its great already.

Back pressure is also misunderstood, there is no correct amount. Less back pressure has a similar effect of increasing valve overlap...handing you more power but less torque..
depends on what you want the car to do...a gain in one area is always a loss in another.

my 250cc 2 stroke race kart wont run below 11,000 rpm, but i never go below that so it doesnt matter.

CTR EK9 turbo

Thanks Ben for the advice. I really want the car to be less economical with more torque and hp, without sacrificing either! I see what youre saying, but i guess ill go for that exhaust, as i think without the manifold it comes in at £300. Do you know where the CAT goes? because after looking beneath the car i couldnt see one!? is it directly after the exhaust manifold?

yup, right after the manifold, if its a mk1 then its got 2 cats (look like silencers)
if its a MK2, then its just got the 1 cat.

I have just found out that Jetex (although nobodys real favourate) also make a race exhause used in the clio cup in the UK.
I am curently trying to find prices as we may y several for the clios over here in HK.
Ill get back to you asap

CTR EK9 turbo

Excellent! its good being able to have your advise before i go and spend my pennies! do you think i should stick with the standard airbox, or stick on my green cotton jobby. Did the previous Cup cars have the green cone cotton filter?

previouse cars had a modified airbox. Basically, it was just given a new cold air pipe of the sheilded variety to behind the headlight. used a performance filter, dont think it was green though. If you can, try get an itg filter as they look wicked an lots of race teams use them, they do customones too.

BTW, the jetex sales people just sent me an email saying their exhaust system raised the power from 185 (cliocup spec) to 215!!!!!!!!

do they expect me to believe that, i asked them how...hehe

CTR EK9 turbo

20 bhp from an exhaust, hmmm...what do they do to their exhausts, put on a 100 bar garden vac or something?

CTR EK9 turbo

Oh no! my math is awful. Good job i did a music degree! Ben, you said you were running the cup "zorst" on your prototype, how does she sound? shall i just get it? i dont know man, its a major dilemma!

i still havent ercieved it yet as its being mailed from the UK to HK, it is not amazingly noisy as race regulations in the dutch cliocup are more stringent.

But if you can wait a week or to, i will be able to post pick of under the car, and maybe a sound file.

i still havent ercieved it yet as its being mailed from the UK to HK, it is not amazingly noisy as race regulations in the dutch cliocup are more stringent.

But if you can wait a week or to, i will be able to post pick of under the car, and maybe a sound file.

CTR EK9 turbo

Excellent! a sound file and pic would be very useful! thankyou very much Ben. Im in no hurry to get it really. My existing exhaust (standard) is blowing like anything!