ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup cat

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
Hi, just had a look under the car for the first time and the car seems to be dual split pipework. It's got two large boxes. Is this normal? And is it pretty restrictive?

I was either thinking of a decat as its cheap or the silencer from ktec which at least looks like a cat. Does a warning light show up on removal and is there a way of removing it.....

Is there any real gain from a 182 manifold or is it just chasing a couple of bhp.?

thanks in advance

scotty

172 cup (again)
Sounds like you have a phase 1 cat fitted rather than a single box cat found on phase 2 172s. I had a decat fitted on my previous 172 cup and the warning light came on after about a year but I think it was linked to me being forced to use 95 octane rather than 97/98 (super unleaded) on 1 occasion. I cleared the fault code and resumed using 97/98 and the light stayed off. My own experience is that the car provides slightly better mpg with the cat removed. I remember the consensus around 2005/2006 was that all 172 owners should rush out and replace their manifolds but now I read that perhaps its not worth all the grief after all - personal choice but its a big job and potential cost for those not able to fit it themselves for very little (if at all noticeable in the real world) gains.

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
I might get the decat for a bit then, it only gets V power. The car is a touch "droney" though already, I feel old typing that.