ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup cutting out when cold.

Looking for some pointers please guys. I appreciate these things are difficult to diagnose but here goes anyway.

My 172 Cup has started cutting out when cold. Basically, I’ll start it up in the morning with the intention of letting it warm up. After around minute or so the engine just stops dead without any warning. It starts again immediately without issue.

It doesn’t do it all the time, it can go for a week or so and all seems fine, but then it happens again out of the blue. The engine just dies soon after a cold start.

It only seems to happen with the car is cold i.e. water temp gauge has still barely moved. As soon as there is any sort of temperature in the engine it doesn’t happen.

The car was in at SWR for another minor job and I got them to have a quick look. Sods Law there were no faults on CLIP and when they started the car from cold, it didnt cut out.

One thing I have noticed is the rev counter does waver a bit up and down when it’s cold. It goes from a normal idle to maybe 1500 revs then drops back down to a normal idle. As soon as the car is warm, it idles perfectly.

Cheers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't know the answer to your problem, but 1500 revs sounds a little high even when the engines cold.

I don't know the answer to your problem, but 1500 revs sounds a little high even when the engines cold.
Yeah, it does doesn't it. It never sits constant at 1500 revs but the fact that the revs flare at all makes me think it could be related.

I reckon ill just need to wait and see if it gets worse. Dealing with an issue that I cant replicate at will is always difficult!