ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup not running right

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Right, I was driving to work one day and suddenly i lost all power and car cut out, so pulled up and gave car a few mins then tried to start it and it was turning over but not firing unless i put a bit of revs on but even then it would just cut out and not idle.

So got AA out and diagnostic scanner pointed to throttle body so put a new one on and nothing changed so took to my uncles garage to which his scanner pointed to throttle position sensor so put a new one on.

Since then it now only starts when i turn key and put my foot on throttle until it fires and now it idles but struggles to hold idle. Also engine management light is on which it wasn’t before all this started.
Also fitted new plugs, leads and coil pack just to be sure.

Anyone got any ideas ?? Thanks

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds more like a wiring fault, you're going to need to go over the loom and check for breaks and loose connections.

The large white connector under the engine fusebox is a good place to start.

PH2 172
Sounds more like a wiring fault, you're going to need to go over the loom and check for breaks and loose connections.

The large white connector under the engine fusebox is a good place to start.

The 90 pin connector on top of the ECU is more likely & easier to get to.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't have a tps, what did you replace then?

Probably the throttle pedal position sensor.

Usually when that error comes up it indicates a wiring fault/break somewhere on the loom, or occasionally the throttle body is gunked up.

dan's cast offs.
Probably the throttle pedal position sensor.

Usually when that error comes up it indicates a wiring fault/break somewhere on the loom, or occasionally the throttle body is gunked up.

Tps is throttle position sensor.