ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup o/s driveshaft issue??

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
hi, a mate of mine has a 172 cup, he got a new off side drive shaft, when fitted it is ok when turning right, when he turns left it seem to want to come away from the gearbox and judders. it also has a slight vibration when driving in a straight line.

Should there be a roll pin near the gear box, the drive from the gearbox has a hole for roll pin but no hole in the shaft to match?

Sould all 172 cups run a 1 piece shaft, different to the standard 172 and 182 which have 2 piece items?

the shaft is new, not second hand!

i'm just going from what he has told me today, i have to get a look at tonite to see if i can determine the problem.

Any suggestions would be very helpfull!

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Just had mine apart when replacing engine, no roll pin is required. Drive shaft should be 2 pieces (thats what mine has), extension piece from the gearbox to a triangular housing (for the CVJ with extra boot/seal) then shaft length is the same as n/s hub to g-box distance. Therefore driveshafts from CVJ pivots are equal lengths.

Was it the same as the one he took off?

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
the new shaft is the same as the old one, the motorfactors where he got it told him it was the same as a mk1 megane, which sound ed strange to me, his shaft has no carrier bearing, which i found strange too. I thought the fact he had no carrier bearing could be causing the vibration in a straight line and he has mentioned before that the car pulls to the right under hard acceleration!!

sounds to me like he mite have completely the wrong shaft!!

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
was talking to my mate again there, still avin the same problem, he says this is the fourth shaft he's had in 2 weeks and none seem to be right, he said that he can feel a knock coming up through the floor when he turns left? thinks he's gona have to bite the bullet n go for a genuine shaft, would ave worked out cheaper in the long run with all the trip to the factors n phone calls!!