ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or Civic type R?

Golf GT TDI
jordan172 thats very nice indeed looks like a cup from outside but much nicer inside spot on

its such a hard decision cup or normal, my mate paul already has a blue cup so we would look pretty gay with the same car lol

end of the day both are excellent value for money;)

Fiesta ST
I had a clio 1.2 T reg for my first car. I ran it raggid but it never went wrong, other than the immobiliser in my key which took me ages to realise it was the key! I always said I want to go back to a Clio hence the 172 was my first thought for my next car.

I know the build qualitys are plasticy and sometimes tacky but hopefully it will be mechianically sound.

E90 320d M Sport
I had a clio 1.2 T reg for my first car. I ran it raggid but it never went wrong, other than the immobiliser in my key which took me ages to realise it was the key! I always said I want to go back to a Clio hence the 172 was my first thought for my next car.

I know the build qualitys are plasticy and sometimes tacky but hopefully it will be mechianically sound.

Well if it is not reliable, which it may not be then your bank balance will take a hit!

MCS R56
lol, yes my question was answered. I didnt know how cheap CTRs go for though thats all.

I really dont like the look of the PH1, and much prefer the cup look with the 16s and the blue paint to the standard 172 - even though Id like abs, air con etc. But its no big deal. Id prefer a 182 more than a 172, its just the money factor.

I need as much as poss for a deposit, my young spending recklessly days are over!

Sounds like you need to get a proper cheap car until you can afford both. (Sensible head on) Just buy a 1.2 Clio or similar with minimal tax/insurance/fuel and purchase and wait until you can run a hot hatch and house together. You can make 1.2's handle nicely for the corners, since that's what you like!

If not, I was very impressed with the low running costs of the Cup, until the end of my ownership where things started to mount up. Brakes/springs/shocks/exhaust started to fail. Other than that, it was cheap to insure and was great on fuel. I had one from new though. Not sure about a 7 year old one!

Fiesta ST
cheers for the advice. Ill have a look at insurance costs tonight then make a decision. What a big deal just to move out lol - I can actually afford to save and keep the ST but things will just be tighter than I like - plus I want a faster car :p.

After insurance, tax, petrol and all my other bills I usualy have about 500-550 to play with anyway.

Arctic 182 + yozza
Ill go for a cup then. Is the cup much better than the standard 172? Also, with some slight adjustment, can you put the standard 182 manifold and exhaust on the 172? I love the way they look..

there is 0.1/0.2secs difference to 60 from a cup to a ff.

you have to remember although the cup is a hero's car, no abs, poverty spec seats, no xenons, no cruise, no climate, no steering controls. it's proper track prep.

if you wanted a good all-rounder get a FF edition with all the goodies.

Fiesta ST
Considering the cup has so much stripped out, its not that much quicker - it would make sense buying a FF and putting the Turinis on..

Is there much diff to 100? Obviously the cup corners better as its wider?

MCS R56
Considering the cup has so much stripped out, its not that much quicker - it would make sense buying a FF and putting the Turinis on..

Is there much diff to 100? Obviously the cup corners better as its wider?

There ain't much in it in terms of pace. You'd maybe notice a difference on a track, so putting Turinis on a 172 would look good and be a good idea.

There is maybe half a second to 100 on paper but as with any 'race' or acceleration test, it's down to the driver getting it right.

IMO, it'd take a good driver to extract the difference between them but I bought one because it was cheaper, looked better, was lighter (which makes sense anyway) and I didn't feel the need for the luxuries at the time. It certainly made my BMW feel special though!

Why you so concerned about the times? They are noticeably quicker than ST's.

Fiesta ST
yeah the st wouldnt touch it - im just trying to get as much info as possible about them. obviously the cup drives and corners faster, im just thinking about if I would prefer the luxerys.

Just weighing up the options.

MCS R56
Drive both and decide. For me, the Clio hasn't got much luxury in any form, so it didn't bother me. The Cup headlights allowed me to drive at night, the windows went down for aircon, leather just gets you sweaty in the hot weather and I never needed ABS at any point, although I can see it's benefits.

If it's a nice, quality interior you want, the Civic is the better option.

Birchdown

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup / 172 Exclusive
Thats like a straight bloke saying would you rather do your bird up the bum or your mate Barry!
Clio cup all day long!!;)

clio 172
why would anyone want to by a civic type r they look utter gash, the sort of car spice boys drive. aren't they 120kg more then the clio?

Golf GT TDI
there is a black gold 182 ff near me for £3750 looks like a really tidy one. its an old woman who has a farm so a little muddy but looks straight, still has the splitter

^^^^ spice boys FLOL

Fiesta ST
So they arnt major expensive - might be worth putting abit of money aside of go for a 182.. if i can get a decent insurance quote that is.

I think its safe to say I wont go for the civic - the vtec is a nice thought though.

Clio 1970000000
why would anyone want to by a civic type r they look utter gash, the sort of car spice boys drive. aren't they 120kg more then the clio?

Power to weight is what counts. CTR will keep with a 172/182 to 100mph and lose them above 100mph.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
PS....Shape, Same?
5612052.jpg

Clio 172 CUP
I've recently just bought my 172 CUP. I've also owned a Fiesta ST previously.

tbh, I had a lot of niggly little problems with the CUP it when I bought it... thinking you are going to buy a CUP for around £3k is ok, but one thing to remember is its going to be a 7 year or so old car, so make sure you try and get one with LOTS of history.

I paid £3390 from a trader, and he had the cambelt done and a 12 month MOT on it. After getting it, it was going into limp mode and idling bad and stalling. Turned out my throttle potentiometer and throttle body were knackered - so both had to be changed. Luckily buying via a trader I had 3 months warrenty so negotiated with him to pay for all the parts - my mates father owns a garage so I had all of the work done there. Now, its running perfectly, I also had 2 new tyres and all the tracking done etc.

The car itself is great, I easily get 40+ mpg on a motorway run if I keep it around 70mph. If you put your foot down it pulls like a train... I've recently owned a Fiesta ST (modified with manifold, sports cat, cat back, induction kit, eibachs, dreamscience remap) then I moved onto a Focus ST - I can honestly say the Clio is every bit as fun as the Focus (though I miss that 5 pot growl.. more than made up for with the Cups' handling....) - the Fiesta... I enjoyed owning it, but its a warm hatch at best - to get any sort of excitement out of those you have to at least do the mods I did, by which point you'll go deaf from the exhaust on motorway trips...

I think if your motivation is entirely financial, I don't know if I would bother. If you start to put things like driving experience/fun factor into the mix I'd say the CUP is leaps and bounds better than the Fiesta ST, but you are buying an older car, you won't know how its been treated, and potential costs might mean you are no better off than you were with your Fiesta ST.

A buying guide for the regular 172 can be found here:

http://www.strikeengine.com/renault_clio/buying_guide.html

covers the main things to look out for. I did see some complete sheds, vague brakes, 17" alloys etc. Be prepared to travel... lol.