ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup stood for 2 1/2 years

172 cup
over 2 years ago the cambelt snapped on my clio it only had 42k, the work wos done on the car but since then the car has been parked outside the garage due to a dispute with the warranty and this wos over 2years ago. im goin to be gettin the car back, what sort of problems will it hav after bein stood for that long and what should i do when i get it back like would i have to change cambelt before trying to start it again. any help would be great thanks..

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
bottom end could be seized i could imagine, id check everything before thinking of starting it up tbh,

Skoda fabia Vrs
Check them and decide if they need replacing. suspension will be fine..brakes and wheel bearings will need checked. cambelt/ Aux belt will deffo need checked and prob changed tbh...

Megane dci 130
Check the oil level, water level. Get a new battery on there.

Dissconect the coil pack and crank it over to get the oil circulated.

Then plug it back in and start it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why has it been sat for 2.5 years, and now you think it will start? :S Why you not been using it.

172 cup
because garage wanted money after they done repairs eventhough it wos under warranty.. long story really

260% JCW
Disks wont be warped, just rusted to f**k and siezed if its been sat outside. New Discs and pads all round, new battery, fire her up.

As for cambelt best off asking an expert.

172 cup TT
Dan mine was sat for about the same amount of time, just recently been converted.. admittedly i wont have any issues with engine as it no longer has a renault engine but tomorrow is the time when it will be on the road for the 1st time in years so will let you know how the bakes, suspension hold up....

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
The main worry would be the engine. The bores may have surface rust. The safest thing to do is to remove the spark plugs and pour a little oil down the broes, then try turning the crank (still with the sparkplugs removed). This is just to make sure it's turning freely and to provide some lubrication between the corroded bores and the piston rings. The wheel bearings I woulduv thought would be fine as they're fairly well sealed. The handbrake may well be seized on and might need manually freeing.

172 cup
Dan mine was sat for about the same amount of time, just recently been converted.. admittedly i wont have any issues with engine as it no longer has a renault engine but tomorrow is the time when it will be on the road for the 1st time in years so will let you know how the bakes, suspension hold up....

tha would be great

106GTI / NovaC20LET
did you not think to start it ocasionally during the 2 and a half years? maybe rolled in back a forward abit to, could of saved yourself alot of time and money.

LY 182
christ you lot want to change the whole car!!!! it will all be fine! discs might want a rub down at worst, check all levels disconnect the coil pack and crank for a few seconds is not a bad idea

other than that it will be fine,, abide by the cambelt intervals and all will be well

172 cup TT
2nd that..... mine was fine.... early days but no problems suspension or brakes wise... brakes had built up a lot of crap on them but that soon went after a few minutes of braking...