ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Suspension Noise Update

I have just had my car returned from the dealer after having the ACTIS bullitin modifiction done.

This appears to have fixed the problem. The fix is basically having a section of metal cut away from the strut mount top section, so the round mount hole becomes slightly elongated at one side. This prevents contact and cures the noise.

One extra point to add here, I notice alot of people complain about their cars pulling to one side or tramlining etc. Mine started to do the same and I put this down to a combination of tyre wear and tracking. After having the cars front end pulled apart checked and put back together, it now drives like new again. These cars are very susceptable to tracking allignment and I will be having mine checked freqently in future as soon as its feels its on its way out.

Just to add here that I did insist on the car being checked out as well as having the ACTIS mode done, they didnt find anything else wrong.

The car really does feel balanced and tight again, cant belive how bad it got!

Hope this helps

Clio 1.6 16V

I would imagine it would be on the top of the turret hole nearest the bulkhead / firewall. I may be way off, but reckon this problem has been introduced due to the diffrent castor angle on the Cups? Which is going to push the top of the stut towards the rear of the car under load causing interference with the strut mount hole.

but i;ve never seen any wear on tha actual turret, nor any of the bearings/bushes.

or are we talking of the top nuts incorporated into the cups that will be knocking on it?

Clio 1.6 16V

.... hhmmm donno mate? I would imagine the turret tops are welded in at an angle so that the strut rods pass through the turret holes perpendicular for most models including the 172 With that slightly diffrent caster angle on the Cups the top mounts will not sit perfectly flat. Arent the top mount rubbers metal reinforced so may case knocking due to the different seat angle? So relieving the strut hole will allow the top mount to sit more naturally at that angle?? Or are they taking metal off the front of the turret mount, therefore dialling out some of the caster and elliviating the problem taking the settingsback towards standard ... he he!

lol.......no idea.......i thought the knocking was hapenning to all 172 derivatives.

to top cup with the nut built in is metal and the rubber is for no particular reason apart from scratches.

The rubebr rin under it is jsut tough rubber.

hmmm....this is where pic would be dead useful at explaining it lol.

Clio 1.6 16V

A picture tells a 1000 stories ...... we need to find an owner that has had this mod done, whip of their nuts (...oh errr!) and take some photographic evidence!! LOL Didnt realise this was happening to 172s also Only thought it was a Cup problem. Hence my comments re castor angle? Also the Cup top mounts were supposedly slackening off which would also suggest that the top mounts were not being properly compressed / tightened?

ive only just taken delivery of my new cup (3 weeks) but these problems sound familiar. its pulling very gently to the left, and, there is a knocking coming from the left front. only really noticeable at low speeds. its done 1800 miles, but after reading this i think ill get it looked at. its in on monday to have a whole new alternator tension bracket, as the nut that tensions the alternator, (and so the belt) came off!! only noticed it when the belt started to slip to buggerey. any one else had a similar problem? something is also very seriously leaking in the boot. i think my car has been built by the YTS kid!!!

Had a similar problem with the tensioner failing, ren know of a problem with the belt jumping off on some early models but the nut faling off.. sound like your right with the YTS kid working on it, think they have quite a few down there :mad:

OK, got my suspension noise sorted today. This was the "suspension mount tolerances" issue covered in the ACTIS bulletin that goes round the renault dealers. The fix they used was to alter the tolerances (I dont know if this means "chop it about a bit"), replace both front shock absorbers, and re-track it. Im happy with the result, as I now have a quieter car without the low speed rumbling, and it feels dead firm at the front. It doesnt pull to the left anymore either. Ive taken some pics this evening, but I cant see whats been done at all - BenR, can you spot anything different looking??

http://www.ashworthbrown.co.uk/users/gb7770/dsci0003.jpg

Clio 1.6 16V

Gary, really need a picture of the turret top with the mount removed to see where they removed the metal. You wont see anything when its been re-assembled. whatever they done sounds like a result though:) Looks like they didnt replace the damper assy as your picture shows a rusty shaft top!

It will be modified under that nut/suspension cup.

If you want, whip it off, it wont do any damage and will go abck on, its just a nut. Then take a pic of whats under it.

Then tighten it back up to 74 ft/lbs.

sorted mate......

could you email it to me PLEASE!!!

my email addys i mailto:benrushworth@hotmail.com">benrushworth@hotmail.com

ta!

Gary how old is your cup mate? when i go in on monday i think im definately gonna mention the work thats been done to your car and the problems ive had with mine. im just wandering in case they tell me it should already ve been done to my car. cheers mate.

RS Clio 182

I seem to have a problem with my suspension but dont have an RS model, just a basic 1.2 16v Extreme. Symptoms are when cornering hard I get a knocking or cloncking noise and when turning 90 degrees especially when travelling over bumpy roads or slightly raised curb (driveway entrance). Noise seems to be coming from front left suspension and the only way I can describe the feeling and noise is that it feels like the wheel is not being damped when falling, but seems damped when the wheel rises.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Car is only 8 months old but I cant take it to Renault at the mo as my dash is off as I am intalling ice. Help or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

Quote: Originally posted by paul172 . on 15 June 2003

Ben you have mail. paul
Thanks Paul, i have forwardedit to our sevice dept as we have not reciened such notice from Renault direct and we have had complaints for a while.

Just to add something else to this.

Had my Cup at reno to look at back brakes clicking, but seemed to be ok. Car was on ramps so ask mechanic about the knocking noise when turning 90 degrees. When moving the wheels from opposite locks, the front left suspension spring was slightly popping out of the base it sits in. The mechanic said it definately needs replacing and could be causing/adding to the knocking noise.

So if you take your car into the garage get them to check this out. It only happened on front left suspension spring. Right side seemed fine.

cheers mate just got it back after having it in for the alternator belt tensioner replaced. theyve redone the tracking and it doesnt seem as noticeable as before, but if it starts pulling again itll be going back for a bit more than just tracking!

Can anyone tell me what the Technical note number is for that picture of it above about fixing the knocking when turning, as my car is in for a service and I need to get this fixed.

Thanks

Ben