ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Third Brake Light

cliokid95

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

The third brake light (spoiler) on the 172 has gone and looking around it seems like the only option is to buy a used part and prices are ridiculous - appreciate it's a unique part for the cups but is there any alternative? Guessing it's needed for the MOT.

Thanks all

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Is it only the light that has gone? If so there are a few things that can be done:

1) The PCBs are the same in other Clio brake lights so you can replace the PCB only
2) Replace the PCB with a 12V red LED strip
3) Worth trying to clean the contacts. Mine wouldn't work properly until I cleaned the PCB/connector pins due to corrosion build up with age

If its the plastic thats gone... That's another story

cliokid95

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
unfortunately the plastic is cracked to buggery. It's getting to the point where I reckon I could fabricate a strip for less than the 150 quid I've seen for the used replacements...

geoffn

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
You could just remove it for the MoT test and then sort it out later. Thats what I ended up doing - if its fitted it has to work.

Geoff.

gavinf91

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9, Fiesta
I got an advisory for the high level brake light not working, I think it’s ok as long as the 2 main ones work.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As above. I had an advisory for non working brake light, but as the main ones worked it passed. I bought a refurbished one for £80 ish, but they are rare things.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
cup spoiler light.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I remember replacing mine in my 182 years ago because the leds failed, lobbed the old one in the bin😭

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Bit of an update, managed to a get a refurbed unit shipped from the Netherlands that came off a mk1 megane coupe, only 35 quid in the end so worth the punt, and the plastic is in good nick thank god!
Absolute bargain!

cliokid95

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Have he got any more?
Not sure mate, there are plenty floating around the continent but the trouble I had was getting someone to ship to the UK, if you can get someone to send one over they're pretty reasonably priced - happy to PM you the site I got mine from.