ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo Conversion

Clio 172 Cup
Hi All

I have been offered a great deal by Engine Dynamics on a low boost conversion on my 172 Cup. I just wanted to get some opinions and feedback as I know some people have conversions done on theirs and others have great knowledge.

my car is 100% sorted and everything is perfect, belts ect recently done made 190bhp at Efi the engine is extremely strong

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Clio 172 Cup
As long as your happy to step away from having one of the best examples of an original OEM 172 Cup. Then I'd say do it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
This is a very very good point mate and exactly what others have said to me, my greed for something more exciting could spoil a very good example

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Turbo 182s come up for sale all the time.
Either blag a drive of one, or buy one, run it for a bit and flog it on?

Could even buy a nice one with a load of bits on, put it partially back to stock or lower its spec, make some cash from the bits and still come out on top?

If you can run one alongside your Cup for a couple of months, might be worth your while. Least that way you can say you’ve owned one even if you decide to keep the Cup stock.

Clio 172 Cup
If any one has an rs2 inlet they want to sell this would be an alternative temptation 😉 or are these as a rare as puffin s**t now ?

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
It is just a clio but one I have put a lot of time and money into restoring to a very good standard and still my pride and joy so want to make the right decision but all comments are much appreciated
Everyone’s car should be their pride and joy, if you want to keep as it is do that don’t let anyone convince you other wise,that’s why in all honesty threads like this are not really worth starting as when push comes to shove its your decision regardless what anyone else thinks....I think “DO IT!”😁

Clio 172 Cup
Everyone’s car should be their pride and joy, if you want to keep as it is do that don’t let anyone convince you other wise,that’s why in all honesty threads like this are not really worth starting as when push comes to shove its your decision regardless what anyone else thinks....I think “DO IT!”😁
Thanks mate, your right and I guess I just wanted to hear people’s experiences and stuff reliability issues ect which is why I started the thread the thought of it done is really appealing

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup

That page has been going for years, yet as far as I'm aware there has not been a new RS2 sold in that time.

I sold mine for around £850. And to be honest the car felt better with the standard intake and fatty induction.

If you're at 190bhp now, a RS2 isn't going to give you any noticeable gains away. It'll lower peak torque, but spread it better, arguably giving better low down drivability, I'd argue the car will feel slower even if it's not too

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If its a nice original cup, I wouldn't be f**king about turbo'ing it. Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is, an appreciating classic. Buy a 182 if you need to. Personally, I'd just buy a faster car to start with if it's speed you want

Clio 172 Cup
If its a nice original cup, I wouldn't be f**king about turbo'ing it. Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is, an appreciating classic. Buy a 182 if you need to. Personally, I'd just buy a faster car to start with if it's speed you want
Good advice thank you for the reply

Clio 172 Cup
That page has been going for years, yet as far as I'm aware there has not been a new RS2 sold in that time.

I sold mine for around £850. And to be honest the car felt better with the standard intake and fatty induction.

If you're at 190bhp now, a RS2 isn't going to give you any noticeable gains away. It'll lower peak torque, but spread it better, arguably giving better low down drivability, I'd argue the car will feel slower even if it's not too
That’s interesting thank you for the feedback prob not a route to take your advice is much appreciated

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I’m a big supporter of turbo Clio’s! If you are getting itchy about more power go for it... they are great fun!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Also not a massive job to revert back to standard if in the future you feel the need (won’t happen) [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The 10 steps of clio turbo conversion in a nutshell!!

1, Have nice oem plus clio
2, Want more power
3, Get turbo conversion at a cost that will end up a lot more than you imagine.
4, Get lots of niggling issues as it puts more stress on other areas of the car that need up rating.
5, Say it's great on forum because you will soon want / need to sell it as its pissing you off and costing you money.
6, Put it up for sale (for a long time as no one wants to buy them anymore)
7, Sit there thinking what the f**k have I done I should of kept it std!
8, Sell it eventually after 100s of wasters asking stupid questions and making stupid offers.
9, Make a massive loss and regret massively what you have done. (Would of got way more std )
10, Ruin one of the few remaining nice examples.

Yes go for it !!🤣🤣

Clio 172 Cup

2, Want more power
4, Get lots of niggling issues as it puts more stress on other areas of the car that need up rating.
5, Say it's great on forum because you will soon want / need to sell it as its pissing you off and costing you money.
8, Sell it eventually after 100s of wasters asking stupid questions and making stupid offers.
9, Make a massive loss and regret massively what you have done. (Would of got way more std )

Yes go for it !!🤣🤣
Exactly my worries lmao 😂

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I'm sort of in the same situation so I'm first going to fit a plate diff and see if I'm happy there. Thats still £2k though.

The turbo conversions can relatively easily be reverted back so I dont think its a horrible route to go down.

I feel guilt tripped by the forum whenever think of modifications 😉 but its all well meaning and just people trying to help based on experience they've had or seen others have.

If you could get a loan and be the buyer not seller at step 8 in what @davo172. If you love it can sell your as standard clean car, if you dont sell turbo car and probably get your money back. I think thats the route to least regret.

Clio 172 Cup
I feel guilt tripped by the forum whenever think of modifications 😉 but its all well meaning and just people trying to help based on experience they've had or seen others have.

If you could get a loan and be the buyer not seller at step 8 in what @davo172. If you love it can sell your as standard clean car, if you dont sell turbo car and probably get your money back. I think thats the route to least regret.
This why I put the post on mate everyone’s feedback is greatly appreciated it’s a choice to make or to use the money and buy a cheap 172/182 and garage the cup

2, Want more power

Yes go for it !!🤣🤣
Lol, this is what I wrote in a similar thread a few months ago,
Yep, standard thing on here, generally it goes, turbo the car, moan about it when it f***s up (as you've taken it to Mr Bean for the conversion) let them f**k it up some more, get it back still fucked, sell it for parts.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I should of asked you this question yesterday Bailey are you looking to keep the car long term?That has been the question my wife always asks me when I say that I am going to modify a car that I own.I purchased my Subaru in 2003 and still have it and still finding modifications that I am going to do with it...I also have a Clio 172 cup and it will be getting turbocharged this year, I am just buying and putting down the odd part for it now.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172

2, Want more power

Yes go for it !!🤣🤣
I think it all comes down to what school of thinking you are from! whether you like a O.E example or whether you are the kind of guy who wants to put his own identity and ideas on a blank production piece of metal because at the end of the day thats all they are when they leave the factory regardless of it being a Cup or not.

Clio 172 Cup
I should of asked you this question yesterday Bailey are you looking to keep the car long term?That has been the question my wife always asks me when I say that I am going to modify a car that I own.I purchased my Subaru in 2003 and still have it and still finding modifications that I am going to do with it...I also have a Clio 172 cup and it will be getting turbocharged this year, I am just buying and putting down the odd part for it now.
Hi mate yeh either way long term I am going to keep the car despite me throwing a wobly at recent issues had to sort lol that’s kind of the dilemma in my head I know I would love and enjoy it converted fact but then I also love the oem part with it being so clean too. It’s modified now not obviously to a high level but it’s not totally stock

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
As Davo has just said. Those steps are literally what happens.

Keep it standard and enjoy it for what it was meant to be