ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP Upgrades finally!

Here they are guys ........wait for it............

Xenon Headlamps with cool blue discharge to increase driving sensation

ABS (for drivers who feel they just cant cope)

Spare wheel with wrench for that authentic "Ive just changed a puncture myself" look

Luxury carpet mats with clio embroidered on!

Side airbags

Sound deadening and thicker superdooper glass to avoid hearing impairment

PSC (Passenger stability control) ie 2nd brake pedal for passengers (its too quick and most get scared)

3mm higher springs for incresed body roll

I dead cow for an interior retrim - guts

Engine cover and screws

Rear headrests to protect rear passengers

60/40 split folding seats for those sainsburys shopping trips.....?

Cant wait to get my hands on some of these babys............the cars just too light..............if u buy everything u get £900 of the list price which equals £2100 instead of £3000 for these bits - bargain me thinks!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Sounds good especially at that price.

Personaly I like dead fake cow seats.

The engin cover alone on my poor over burdend 172 gives me 100bhp extra, and the extra wheel gives another 50bhp.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

that doesnt really make sense to me at all.

buy cup172 = turn into 172 - whats the point???

Come on guys - I was taking the pisth! The real upgrades are out in the new year.

Dave at Renault Belfast said R-Sport are opening franchises across the country with state of the art service shops/rolling roads/datron equipment and all the stuff ud expect from a performance tuning outlet! They say theyll be able to fit warranty friendly bits to the Cup initially and the 172/V6 (as these are the only motors in the R-Sport range at the minute) sorry old school chaps - no valvers/williams - lol

Itll be like a one stop tune up shop! Full on 172 cup racer here me comes me thinks!

They will also have trained delocking and smoothing vehicle bodywork guys from Japan on their teams for that smooth look and they say they will also fit a V6 kit to the 172 if u can afford it!

"Virtual reality racing/rallying simulators will allow the customer to customise his/her vehicle fully and acurately see the benefits of performance upgrades, both aesthetically and mechanically, before they have been carried out"

wish my renault dealer knew what was going on as have been badgering him for ages about the Cup upgrades!

About as much use as tits on fish!

So what kind of upgrades will renault allow to not void the warrenty... Im sure anything which will be engine tuning will shorten the life and in turn cost renault in repairs.....

Renault Laguna Coupe

Good question Steve: Heres the scenario.

You save up loads and buy a Cup / 172 / V6. Youve saved up enough for loads of trackdays too, so you do one a week, maybe 2 a week in the summer. The cars gonna get an incredible amount of wear and tear.

Will Renault still honour your warranty? Its a really difficult one. Racing / competitive events can void the warranty, but trackdays are not races and they are not competitive. There was a case recently of BMW refusing to honour the warranty on a new M3 as the gearbox failed during a trackday - the owner is now considering legal action.

Thoughts anyone???

Well..... thing is I drive my car the same on roads anyway... Its all one big piece of tarmac to me...

BUT how the f**k could they know you have been on a track day anyway?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i dont think standard warranty should cover track use because:

it pushes up prices
the car wasnt initaily designed for track use
not every one uses tracks
what they should do is offer a track use warranty as an add on.

say £300-£500pa

and offer a few "official" track days within the package + extras

But engines were designed to be reved...... When tested they are run and run till they die and the weak component uprated. So your telling me to keep my warrenty I have to drive below 3000 rpm?? When racing your car all your doing is using revs for longer peroids of time, if it was going to damage the engine and not last as long then the limiter should be set to 3k.... The car is the car you buy use it withing the manufactures specs and it should be covered!

The Cup was designed for the track - it evens says in the official renault cup brochure idf anyone actually reads these "most of these cars will more than likely end up on the track" Hello people - the reason they are doing these performance upgrades is so customers of the cup can more safely do track days or actually race their cups amateurly or indeed professionally! Please go and get the cup brochure and read it instead of assuming stuff.............

Renault Laguna Coupe

Not really thinking about the engine - I agree with you about the revs. But what about brakes, suspension, structural components etc. How often to you brake really hard from 120mph to 40 in a normal day - happens once or twice a minute on a trackday. Puts a lot of forces though the car.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 20 November 2002

The Cup was designed for the track - it evens says in the official renault cup brochure idf anyone actually reads these "most of these cars will more than likely end up on the track" Hello people - the reason they are doing these performance upgrades is so customers of the cup can more safely do track days or actually race their cups amateurly or indeed professionally! Please go and get the cup brochure and read it instead of assuming stuff.............

i never said it wasnt mate

it may have been designed for the track, but the warranty isnt vaild for track use

Renault Laguna Coupe

The warranty on the Cup is no different to that on any other Renault car. Racing isnt covered - we know that - it says so in the warranty book. But Renault know that we do track days - they even organised one for us in June of this year! Im just wondering where theyd draw the line if they were presented with a worn-out track-day weapon every week for repairs under warranty!

Ok but in my eyes suspension and brakes are cunsumables! Cover should be for parts that fail... If a swing arm broke, cams went etc...... It would not break if there was not a problem with it in first place.

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 20 November 2002

Quote: Originally posted by rhys172 on 19 November 2002

Much cheaper to buy a 172 and turn it into a Cup..... ;)

Rhys
How do you work that one out mate ? 172 is dearer? lol

Well...lets see now. How much did your Cup cost? Around the £13000 mark? My 172 MK2 was £12000 from new. So I guess that makes the MK2 172 £1000 cheaper than a cup. Hence why I was said that it is cheaper to turn a 172 into a Cup than the other way round. Im not knocking the Cup, Im just saying it would be far more expensive to buy a Cup and fit all the 172 stuff to it than it is to simply strip out a 172 MK2. Trust me on this one, Ive removed enough weight to gain about 7bhp/tonne and I can feel it in the cars performance and handling. How much has this cost me? £0.00. To lower the car 30mm (which I bet makes a fair bit more difference than your 3mm to the body roll of the car) cost less than £200.

Exactly what is your problem, mate? How about this: you car weighs 20kg and has a power to weight of 156000bhp/tonne. Happy now? Jeez....some people. This topic seemed to be started with the intention of pi$$ing off anyone who doesnt have a 172 Cup, and my word, you seemed to have succeeded. Well done you.

Rhys

Oh I am sorry mate - no need to get so wound up - if ud said ur 172 was £12000 the that would have made ur post easier to compreghend - however my cup was £11765 so that another £235 to me - I stand by my original post "172 is dearer...........lol"

Hahahahaha..... Hey im with you rhys172 ... I wouldnt want a cup anyway they look cheap.... I mean are you going to be doing track days 52 weeks a year? no... ... so on track days strip out ya 172! Dont get me wrong the cup is a good idea and i bet it handles but ya know

Redd the post guys before mouthing - it was a stab at some humour on this forum but as usual you all go into defensive mode at the first chance

"PSC (Passenger stability control) ie 2nd brake pedal for passengers (its too quick and most get scared)"

Hello, Hello - I was taking the piss.................!!!

Lighten up its nearly Friday

Uve got the right idea Tom !!! Although that handbags a bit masculine for these guys...............lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i love a good joke me

oh and by the way my 1.2 could eat any cup (or mug) for breakfast