ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup.....What to do...

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I have currently own a 172 Cup and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I've had it for 3 years now been such a fun car to own but I'm wanting something else now. I know the number of cups is steadily dropping, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth much more in a few years time. I'm not entirely sure what its worth now to be honest. Is it worth keeping?

It's currently sitting at 108k miles, belts/dephaser were done at 104k, it was serviced and MOT'd last week, paint works in good condition over all, few chips and scratches here and there, it also has:

Ktec Stealth Exhaust
Pipercross Viper Induction kit
Brand new Brembo HCs discs on the front
New Renault discs/pads/calipers on the rear 2k miles ago
Refurbished Turinis & a spare in the boot
Gearbox was refurbished about 10k miles ago with a new clutch

Just curious to know what people think, value wise and if it's worth keeping hold of.

Cheers!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get through the winter then decide?

Just joking, you know cups, winter, crashes.

Have you done track days?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
No not done any track days, I did half think about keeping it as a track car project if it didn't go up in value. I do keep thinking I'll regret selling it. if I had somewhere to store it I'd probably just garage it and save for something else.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
If you've got any sort of attachment to the car then you'll end up regretting ever selling it. I still miss my first Cup and was an idiot for selling it 4 years ago.
As for value it's hard to say as they vary so much depending on condition. I doubt the value of yours, mine or anyone else's will go up anytime soon apart from the low mileages ones.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Onwards and upwards.

I don't miss my 172 Cup much, that's not to say it wasn't enormous fun over the 5 years I had it.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
There are less than 1000 registered on the roads now, but I did think this about the value with it being quite a high mileage, I'd probably have to spend a fair bit of money to get some value out of it, anyone ever had an engine rebuild for one?

adamlstr - your profile pic is the car I want next....maybe its a sign!

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Nah I didnt ever think it would be worth as much as that. Anyone got an idea of that I could get for it as it stands?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hard to say on value, put it up around £2k maybe a touch more if your in no rush. As said the value wont sky rocket but it should hold on to its present value easily.

I would move it on as it sounds like you are bored of it now?

Making it a track car - Just buy one already done
Garaging it - Pointless as the money you might make on it will probably be spent on repairs from it sitting around
Keeping it for higher value - Probably won't happen unless you destroy ever other Cup on the road and make yours the only one

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I wouldn't say I was bored of it, still love driving it, just fancied something different

If money was no problem, I'd say keep it and get something else then decide if you still want to hang onto it.

The issue I guess is that unless you spend out a four figure sum or thereabouts, you won't be noticing a big deal of difference in the way it drives unless it's a total nail to start with. But in terms of bhp etc, pointless if your not sure.

I would just let time do its thing mate :)

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Part of the reason i've still got mine is that i've spent so much on it and have a lot invested in the car. If you don't have that commitment then go for something else that takes your fancy. That's what I'd do if i hadn't sunk £££ into mine.

There are less than 1000 registered on the roads now, but I did think this about the value with it being quite a high mileage, I'd probably have to spend a fair bit of money to get some value out of it, anyone ever had an engine rebuild for one?

adamlstr - your profile pic is the car I want next....maybe its a sign!
Licensed : 989
SORN : 463 Thats a hell of a lot of track cars.

96fa74a6d6370983fe8ccc48a173138a.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
They're not rare enough to command collector-investment money.
And with 100k on the clock, even if they were, yours wouldnt make the shortlist.

Keep it, if you can keep it stored. It'll still not be worth anything in 3 years, but you'll have it for yourself and it's not like it's losing money

They're not going up in value, especially on 100k+ miles. I have one on 110k in pretty good condition and I think I'd struggle to see more than £2k on a good day with waiting. They shouldn't go down but even with numbers dropping off there's not enough of a market for higher milage used ones.

So if you like it keep it, if you want a change get rid. Just don't do it for the money either way because it's not worth it.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
Cheers for all the advice everyone, just out of curiosity has anyone, or do you know anyone who's had an engine rebuild on a 172/182?

Renault Clio 172
If I were you mate id put a decent set of pads in the front and book a trackday, you dont have to go full track car and ruin it for day to day use like most people do.
They are good cars for the money and I would say you will get £1500-£2000 depending where you live if you decide to sell it.
Cheap to run and maintain, but i do know what you mean about wondering what to do with it because i was thinking the same thing a few months ago so i sold it, i dont really miss it to be honest as good as they are

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
Hello everyone, I have read all these posts with interest, I have just bought a cup (collecting Saturday) I think for the price they are now are great value cars, in the short term the values won't go up but I don't see them going down and believe they will slowly start to rise, they are undervalued and I think all it would take is a few car magazines to jump on the bandwagon saying they are the next collectable car etc and the values would rise (look at 205's), I don't think the general public know how special the cup's are.
Going onto the point of Oddesy, If I were you and had the room/finances I would keep the car as a 2nd car and use it for some trackdays or sprint and hillclimb the car, you have done all the major work, belts and gearbox rebuild etc so is ready to be used and enjoyed.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I want a 3/4 plate again :( looks so good above. I had it for 2 years without a pull and then got pulled in a city centre by a traffic cop!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I want a 3/4 plate again 😧 looks so good above. I had it for 2 years without a pull and then got pulled in a city centre by a traffic cop!
I ran my french metal plates for more or less the entirety of my ownership, not one problem!