ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - worth it?

Hi just like to start by saying im new to cliosport...so hello to everyone...i'm looking at buying a clio 172 cup and have seen this one . now whats worrying me is that its got 62k on the clock and i know that some of these cars are taken on the track so is it worth waiting for a lower mileage one to show up? they say that its the best one theyve seen but for all i know it could be the only cup theyve ever seen!! i still need to call them to ask bout service history, etc. but is there anything that a clio with this mileage would be needing soon or any obvious problems...i dont want to spend 5.5k and then need to spend another few getting cambelt and other stuff sorted.

also i know the cup can be temperamental in the wet due to lack of abs so is it worth getting the normal 172? anyone with cups wish they'd opted for the standard 172...cant say im too bothered about the leather/alcantara interior and climate control...its freezing up in scotland anyway so dont exactly need air conditioning.

cheers guys,

ross

clio 16v,saph cossie,rs's
go for it,looks like it hasnt been tracked or anything,65k doesnt mater as long as its got fsh and service documents etc.

beef-mc yeh ive been looking at it for a while but thought i was uninsurable on a cup cuz most quotes came back at 2k!!! checked with admiral last night after reading insurance advice on this forum and got a quote for 770 quid which is unbelievable!! anyways yeh do u think there is a reason it hasnt gone yet? i mean price wise it seems good...dont know whether its a wise buy at this time of year but ill prob just avoid using it if theres ice/snow/torrential rain forecast lol.

haha not a ford fan sorry - had a focus and i think it left the factory without brakes...the stopping distance at 70 was just over a mile...had a 1.2 clio and have a megane 1.9 dci at the mo so sticking with the renaults!

The only reason I can think of that it hasn't sold is that not a lot of people in Scotland know the difference between a 1.2 clio and 2.0, they just think it's some sort of body kit.

haha an expensive high mileage 1.2 with some 16" alloys and some blue colour coding on the dash and steering wheel...im sure somone would pay for that!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Regarding the ABS thing, this time of year is commonly referred to as the 'cup culling season'

Drive it with respect and at speeds relative to the outdoors conditions and it shouldnt ever be a problem, however you never know whats gonna come round the next corner and its comforting to know that there is a bit of technology in there to help you out should you need it.

Megane Trophy, Golf
Go for it mate! The cambelt will be ready at about 72,000 miles. Not bothered about lack of toys or ABS as the cups got progressive breaking as used on track so still good at stopping! Its more to do with quality of the tyres so dont put crap ones on!! I think that most of the cups had bench tested engines and they are quite bomb proof.

MCS R56
Buy the Cup! I too am from sunny Scotland and have had no problems so far with cold weather and ABS (lack of). Take it easy in cold or wet weather and you should have no problems.

I wouldn't touch those Fords with a 10 foot pole!

Impreza P1
Get it you won't regret it, had mine just over a year and love every minute.;) Can be a handful in the Winter lol just go easy though

J

JACKO CUP 172!

do it bud.get some 1 who knows wot they are on about to go with ya..

Iceberge cup,mito tb
yeh go for it, got a cup myself and had no problems with it in the winter, just drive for the conditions

cheers guys all very helpful!! now if only the f***ing dealer would answer the phone i could get a test drive!

anything important to look out for while testing it that might suggest problems?

3 MPS
hi mate , i had a cup before the meg , where abouts u from ? i would want to see the service history first and makes sure its genuine , maybe get a check on it to see if its never been hit , as said tho the engines are solid , if u get a test run listen for a rattle from the exhaust , my baffles collapsed and it was replaced under warrenty, its common to go ,

yeah not a ford fan by any means!! does anyone know how to go about gettin it checked by an independent mechanic? and how much does that cost? unfortunately ive not got any mechanic friends otherwise im sure i could've bribed them with a case of beer. gonna try and get a test drive in the next few days and hopefully get a semi dry day to give it a decent bash. also, will an hpi check show if its been in a crash or damaged and repaired?

paul g i live in edinburgh at the moment...many scottish people on this forum?

ok ladies and gents just spoke to the garage selling it and they said that its just had 2 new front tyres, full renault service history, according to them its in too good condition to have been tracked (some of you have said that too) and if its got less than 6 months mot they will stick a year on it.

ive got an '03 plate megane 1.9 dci 120 dynamique 3 door at the mo and they said they'd prob do a straight swap. trade in price on parkers say 5665. now the guy said seemed happy enough to just swap the cars...is that something to worry about? i know i could get more if i sold it privately but it just seems a hassle with listing it on autotrader and stuff. it just had a 36000 mile service (about 1500 miles ago) with 3 new tyres and all pads and discs replaced. anyone think its worth selling it privately and waiting longer or does this seem like a good deal?

going to view it on sat so pretty excited!

996 Carrera
Ask if it's had the cam belt changed - should be changed after 5 years or 72k I think (some recommend changing it at 60k).

If not you're looking at a ~£500 bill this year which you might want to use to haggle with.

yeh they said it hasnt been changed yet...i prefer to take the proactive rather than reactive servicing line and change it before it needs to be changed. only thing about using it as a haggling tool is that i want to swap my car (so no trade in or extra costs to me) and i doubt theyd want to give me money for my car...could always say ill take the car if they change the cambelt! anyway of telling if the belt has been changed just by looking?