ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cutting out

Hi guys

I've got a 2000 x phase 1 172 which has taken a likeing to cutting out when the revs drop to idle speed. I got some advice on hear previously and everyone suggested it was the icv so I've fitted a brand new one and it still happens. It seams to do it more when the car is hot. Once it stalls it will start again no bother and drive fine but if I let the revs drop again it stalls.

Also, and I'm not unconvinced this isn't related, occasionally the speedo stops working. Can be driving along fine and the speedo will just drop to zero but all other dials work fine. I'm wondering if both these problems could be related to the speed sensor on the gearbox?

Thanks for any advice you can give
Jim

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds sensor related, not hugely familiar with the 2L 16v lump in the clio's but my mate had a similar issue with his Fiesta & it was the cam sensor.

I can understand the thinking about the throttle body causing the stalling but would it have anything at all do do with thur speedo cutting out?

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Exactly same happens on mine (Ph2 172) its fine for the first couple of miles until warm, then come to a junction and revs drop to zero and cuts out! Speedo just randomly goes off too......

Happened to this as well although won't be the same problem as OP but might cur Dan29's issue.

Throttle body messed up some how and everytime I came to a stop the car would cut out, basically just didn't want to idle and the way to cure it was to reset the Throttle body. Disconnect the throttle body, start the car and the engine will rev up to 1700rpm. Turn the car off, reconnect the Throttle body and that solved my problem.

CLIO 172
Inside the left wing is a canister with a tube going up into the rocker box on the 172. The top has a habit of breaking off resulting in unable to rev above 2000rpm and cutting out. £20 Breakers yard cured mine. Fitted a new tdc too so to be fair its one or the other or at least in my case it was and i am advised to fit a tdc every year. at £14 its not a lot and is a known problem starting area

Ok. I'll try disconecting and cleaning the throttle body this weekend and see if that makes any difference. I'll also have a look at that canister to see if I can spot any problems with it
Thanks for the advice so far but any other suggestions please keep them coming