ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - Do I have to Use ELF oil

I am planning on changing th Oil on my 172, and was told that I need to use Elf Excellium LDX 5w40 or my engine will start using Oil.

Is this true or can I use other Good Quality Oils Like Castrol RS, Motul 300V or other

At the moment the car has the Factory oil and doesnt use any Oil

Cheers

When i had my valver,Renault used to do a ?synth or semi synth oil called elf Ultimate dunno if they still do it?

Highly recommended.

Renault uses the excellium 5W50 in racing. Its great oil. but VERY expensive. Just stick to a full synthetic oil and youre fine.

@dirkdiggler I think your Renault Dealer are a little sick the head !! Using 10W40 which is a half sythetic oil. If your car ever uses oil with a fully synthetic oil myou can swap to half synthetic !

Skoda Fabia vRS

Castrol GTX is a basic mineral oil............its GTX Magnatec thats the semi synthetic one........

The Jinx

Your local dealer will prolly in truth throw anything in. My colleague with his Laguna dCi has gone driving on the continent for 1month and wanted a bottle just in case.

The garage gave him this unbranded stuff and said that they get it dead cheap and thats what theyd put in if you brought it in. This is while stood next to a cardboard sign saying something like "Renault only uses Total/Fina/Elf oil":oops:

GTX Magnatec semi synthetic is what my Reno dealer use. Has a long paragraph of spiel on the service receipts which tells you thats what they use and reccomend and how good it is for your Reno.

Alfa Mito 155TB

i havent had to top up my 172 since 7000 miles, now on 15000 miles...but when i did i bought halfords silver bottled 5w 40w-semi synthetic...it met all the standards and did exactly as said on the tin !!!!

I changed the oil in my Mk172 @ 1500 and 6000 and, in each case, used a Renault oil filter and Elf Silverstone fully synthetic oil (5W40 I think, and the oil the Cup racers use). Yes, its bloody expensive, but I get a decent discount on it, which helps. I figure its the lifeblood of the engine and, since I do a fair few track days, its worth shelling out for!