ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change and High mileage

Clio 182 FF
hey guys need your help again, my engine is on 166000 miles in my 182 I was just wondering if I should now start using a bit thicker oil to preserve it ? And if yes what oil ? Or should I stick with the elf 5w40 ?
Thanks in advance.

182 Trophy
thicker oil isn't always better, maybe shorter intervals would be more advisable? Say every 3000 miles/6 months instead of whatever the service book says.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
As above, thicker oil isn't going to help with wear and tear. I'd just keep changing it regularly. I mean you've got to 166,000 miles, so you're doing something right 😊

Mine's on 137,000 now and was thinking of getting a refresh when the belts are due in January.
Always good to have some pennies put aside when the inevitable happens I guess.

Clio 182 FF
thicker oil isn't always better, maybe shorter intervals would be more advisable? Say every 3000 miles/6 months instead of whatever the service book says.
alright I’ll stick with the 5w40 then 😅 3000 miles interval seems a bit excessive tho, I do change it every 7500/8000km I think it’s pretty reasonable, I do have a heavy foot but I always let the car warm up and all so I like to think I’m pretty respecting of my engine 😊

Clio 182 FF
As above, thicker oil isn't going to help with wear and tear. I'd just keep changing it regularly. I mean you've got to 166,000 miles, so you're doing something right 😊

Mine's on 137,000 now and was thinking of getting a refresh when the belts are due in January.
Always good to have some pennies put aside when the inevitable happens I guess.
yeah, always saving up, although my engine seems relatively healthy, no coolant or oil consumption really, and I drive it a lot, already got a brand new gearbox in, now it’s either a full respray or an engine rebuild 😂

182 Trophy
alright I’ll stick with the 5w40 then 😅 3000 miles interval seems a bit excessive tho, I do change it every 7500/8000km I think it’s pretty reasonable, I do have a heavy foot but I always let the car warm up and all so I like to think I’m pretty respecting of my engine 😊
haha I come from Japanese cars so every 3000 miles/5000km is the norm. The F4R is a pretty resilient engine from what I can tell.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
It used to be that car engines over 100K where effectively on borrowed time so you needed additives and snake oil potions to keep them going, seems like these days the engine is one of the last things to go.