ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine removal. Advice Please.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Have been having a look at doing this. It appears that the engine drops out on the subframe. Am I right in thinking this and also has anyone got and advice or tips.. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

2 options..

Drop everything via the subframe, which means disconnecting the harness and clearing it aside, suspension top mounts, steering rods, engine mounts, subframe bolts, cooling system and lifting the car over the top, unless your car is already in the air lol.

Or, disconnect harness, cooling system, driveshafts from box OR the box from engine but itll be very hard to clear the flywheel from the bellhousing, you might need to undo the hub to push teh gearbox aside, undo engine mounts and lift it out the bay. Few bits like bonnet and slam panel need to be removed.

Ad

MK2 FRS

sounds like dropiing it out will be the best option as currently I have no cooling system in place, the top engine mount is being replaced, so only the gearbox one to undo,

Big Iain, have decided that some of the repairs on the 172 I am rebulding will be esier to do with the engine out.

use some marker pen or tipex to mark the edges of your subframe just to make sure it all goes back straight. JUST IN CASE.