ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 gearbox speed speed sensor 03 plate

Ok... Ive read ph1 172 & ph2 172 cup use a speed sensor in the gear box... All other models get speed from abs sensor? Correct?

Well I've just purchased a non running 172 on an 03 plate. This has been fitted with An engine and box from a 182 as the original bottom end went.

Now... I have the original 172 gearbox and it has a sensor fitted.... And there appears to be a plug on the 172 loom for it!

Whats going on then? Is my car still using the abs sensors for speed? Or does it use the sensor? Obv the sensor wont fit in the 182 box... Ive tried lol!

Car has esp if that makes any odds?

defo has one and a plug. I'll get it running and see if ive got speedo then

If i was to ditch the abs in favour of a cup m/c and internal bias valve but leave the sensors and wiring is the speedo still going to work?

CS Dungeon
Ok... Ive read ph1 172 & ph2 172 cup use a speed sensor in the gear box... All other models get speed from abs sensor? Correct?

I believe this is the other way round....... Full Fat uses the gearbox and plug you mention (well my Ph2 172 does) and CUPS get the speedo from elsewhere!

So I presume you have a 172/182 CUP gearbox fitted

I believe this is the other way round....... Full Fat uses the gearbox and plug you mention (well my Ph2 172 does) and CUPS get the speedo from elsewhere!

So I presume you have a 172/182 CUP gearbox fitted

ph1 and early ph2 plus the cup all use the gearbox to get their speed. The rest use the abs to to get the speed.

CS Dungeon
hmmmm strange as both my 172 and 182 gearbox's both have the speedo drive on the rear of the gear box and neither are CUP as far as im aware

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
It could of just been one of those things were at the end of the production they just put what was left over on the shelf onto the car

I know ford were like that

Ben

hmmmm strange as both my 172 and 182 gearbox's both have the speedo drive on the rear of the gear box and neither are CUP as far as im aware

Your 182 has the wrong gearbox in it then.

The 172 cup and the ph1 (and some early ph2's, ones without ESP) have the sensor in the box to take the speed information. The others take the speed information from the abs/esp module

In theory then, if i was to remove the abs pump but leave the electrics in place... The speedo should still work? If i removed all the electrics as well I'm stuffed lol? Unless the car is using the gearbox sensor.

Is that reprogramable? Or could i swap to a set out of a cup?

Sounds like it would be easier to get this car on the road and sell on and get a cup instead lol!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Is that reprogramable? Or could i swap to a set out of a cup?

Sounds like it would be easier to get this car on the road and sell on and get a cup instead lol!

As far as I understood it, nope you'll need to swap to a speedo drive gearbox. I have an early 02 ph2 non-cup and luckily it had the speedo drive gearbox. I've taken the ABS out of mine and swapped to a Cup brake setup. In fact, it was Dan, who is posting above, who did the work and a top job he did aswell :)

Actually, having re-read your posts you're saying you have a 182 engine but with a 172 speedo box. Then it should be able to be reprogrammed to take the speedo reading from the box and not the ABS rings, thus allowing you to remove the ABS. Be careful what you take out though, if you want it to pass an MoT.

Yeah the original engine blew... The lad i got it from has half fitted a 182 engine and box. I still have the original 172 box which has a sensor and there is also a plug on the loom for it

can i reprogram a clio 172 ph1 to read the speed in the abs? i fitted a 182 gearbox and the gearbox doesnt have the sensor hole. What can i do?