ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Gripper installed - vibration turning one way

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all.

I recently had a Gripper differential installed into my gearbox. Supplied by Gripper via Pure and installed by a reputable firm.

The gearbox has been refitted to the car by professionals using the correct gear oil.

I've been told the car vibrates quite significantly when turning right but doesn't appear to do this while turning left.

It's my understanding that a freshly built, brand new, plated diff will require an amount of running in but can anyone advise if the vibration while turning one way is normal or not unusual.

Track day Monday and hoping to proceed as planned.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Shaft might be too long on the passenger side

I'm sure they make a banging noise when turning if the shaft is a bit long iirc

@NorthloopCup knows about these tingsssss
I have aloooooooot of experience regarding this issue..

OK... Op. The problem is that Renault and some other brands offer a shaft between 65* to 660mm.. Now Euro Car parts do a GKN Lobo shaft which is 640mm.. The problem you are having is that on a right hand turn the inner tripod is knocking inside the diff cup. YOUR ONLY SOLUTION is to replace your shaft with a GKN 640mm shaft..

My other advise would be that please dont take your car on track as is, because you will damage/break the diff..

As you can see in the picture the GKN is visibly shorter..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
d7d87038bf5689d9cb211822752711a5.jpg

Last edited:

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
I have aloooooooot of experience regarding this issue..

OK... Op. The problem is that Renault and some other brands offer a shaft between 65* to 660mm.. Now Euro Car parts do a GKN Lobo shaft which is 640mm.. The problem you are having is that on a right hand turn the inner tripod is knocking inside the diff cup. YOUR ONLY SOLUTION is to replace your shaft with a GKN 640mm shaft..

My other advise would be that please dont take your car on track as is, because you will damage/break the diff..

As you can see in the picture the GKN is visibly shorter..

View attachment 1500701
Thanks for the information, this is really valuable. I will measure the new shafts I installed recently and the old worn shafts I removed.

Where is a good supplier for GKN?

Thanks again

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Thanks for the feedback all. Would anyone know the difference in length between the shafts? Could a ph2 shift be turned down few mm on the inner?

To answer your question though

GKN shaft is 640mm
OE is 658mm
J&R shaft is 660mm

When i had my knocking issues Mark (Northloopcup) and I was searching for PH1 shafts from different sources and we could do find a shaft short enough.. I stumbled upon Euro car parts GKN shaft just before i was about to take my OE shaft to Dave Mac Propshafts (Gripper) and have them cut and shorten my shaft by 20mm, which is what Dave at Gripper said was required.. Luckily all that was avoided when i bought a new shaft and my problem was done with.. Been running solid now for 15+ trackdays and still going strong..

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the information, this is really valuable. I will measure the new shafts I installed recently and the old worn shafts I removed.

Thanks again

I've re-read. ECP!

Are OE ph2 shafts too long?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.

Thanks again

Euro Car parts mate

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
To answer your question though

GKN shaft is 640mm
OE is 658mm
J&R shaft is 660mm

When i had my knocking issues Mark (Northloopcup) and I was searching for PH1 shafts from different sources and we could do find a shaft short enough.. I stumbled upon Euro car parts GKN shaft just before i was about to take my OE shaft to Dave Mac Propshafts (Gripper) and have them cut and shorten my shaft by 20mm, which is what Dave at Gripper said was required.. Luckily all that was avoided when i bought a new shaft and my problem was done with.. Been running solid now for 15+ trackdays and still going strong..

Good to hear. It's interesting to hear that Gripper know a shorter shaft is required but it isn't prescribed upon purchase from their resellers.

I'll see if we can get one tomorrow but I believe ECP are closed and time is limited.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I've re-read. ECP!

Are OE ph2 shafts too long?

Apparently it was a lottery whether what day, what time, what f**k knows what shaft was fitted from Renault parts bin it came out off.. There is no ryme or reason. After much discussion with Gripper, Dave did say that maybe 1in200 applications this problem will rear its ugly head.. It will also depend on what camber, how low your car is.. Another kinda way to increase the length is a Rollcentre correction kit as this helps because the track width is increased by roughly 5mm..

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
ECP have no stock, try Autodoc, Ph1 172 driveshaft 7711134954.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=7711134954
Thanks for the recommendation.

The guys have refitted the OE shaft today and possibly taken some camber out of the NSF. The problem appears to now be resolved.

Thank you to everyone for their input, I will get a new GKN shaft ordered up and fitted before the car goes out again.

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
If it helps you this is what I do , Undo the offending nearside driveshaft nut while on the ground approx 90 degrees, then with the car raised and weight off the wheel obviously, remove the wheel and the driveshaft nut. As long as the driveshaft is free in the hub splines you can push the shaft in and measure the distance moved. You need about 8mm minimum with competition mountings. More if you are on standard mountings.
Very offend you will find by moving the whole engine and gearbox over to the drivers offside you will get enough clearance without a shorter shaft.
The shaft three point spider going into the diff does seem to survive the contact very well from the witness wear marks I have seen.
BUT not good at all, when they break the small needle bearings create havoc in the box. Seen it many times.
best regards mark

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
If it helps you this is what I do , Undo the offending nearside driveshaft nut while on the ground approx 90 degrees, then with the car raised and weight off the wheel obviously, remove the wheel and the driveshaft nut. As long as the driveshaft is free in the hub splines you can push the shaft in and measure the distance moved. You need about 8mm minimum with competition mountings. More if you are on standard mountings.
Very offend you will find by moving the whole engine and gearbox over to the drivers offside you will get enough clearance without a shorter shaft.
The shaft three point spider going into the diff does seem to survive the contact very well from the witness wear marks I have seen.
BUT not good at all, when they break the small needle bearings create havoc in the box. Seen it many times.
best regards mark

Thank you Mark. That's great information.

The guys did measure the plunge but I still think I will purchase a GKN shaft just to be sure.