ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 handling / knocking issue

tiTTy & SV650
For a while now my 172 has had a bit of play somewhere which was noticeable through the steering wheel when low speed maneouvring e.g. pulling out of a parking space.

I had replaced the o/s driveshaft in the hope it'd fix it but it didn't. Since then its had new shocks and springs so they're in good order too.

Recently the handling is a little ropey, I can feel some vibration through the gear knob and I reckon the steering has too much play, plus the play / knock at low speed maneouvering is more pronounced now too.

Any ideas? Is there issues with steering rack bushes or something like that?

I'll get it on the ramp this week for diagnosis but looking for a heads up.

Cheers

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
not sure on the knocking but i changed the track rod ends on my last one as i had a load of play in the steering and it didnt cure it, then changed the track rods (didnt know they could be changed!) and what a massive difference! it was razor sharp, my ph1 will be getting the same treatment.

john @ Progrip done mine + setup and was resonably cheap

tiTTy & SV650
Cheers Martin, John at Progrip told me 6 months ago there was play in the track rods lol so that might be all it is. Need to get camber bolts fitted and tracking done again so perfect opportunity to do it I guess.

I'll get it on a ramp locally this week to see if there's any more needing done.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ahh right, yeah i changed bottom arms, top mounts, dampers, springs, ball joints, engine mounts, track rod ends then took it to get setup and it still had play was going to jump in the canal untill he told me about the inner track rods, i was fed up working on it so just got him to do it lol!!

tiTTy & SV650
Rack ends then, I shall investigate them and replace them first with the rod end too and get some camber bolts and an alignment at the same time. Prob worth replacing steering rack gaitors at the same time.

Coolio, Cat B Ali

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
End of the day, things will be starting to get tired. You give it a hard time, i gave it a hard time, it's on what 60k?...

tiTTy & SV650
63k its just wear and tear, a bit of TLC will go a long way. Supposed to be going a weeks road trip taking in Skye and Applecross in June so have a few weeks to get things tip top!