ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Handling

Hiya peeps, been reading the forum and have decided to save for a 172.

What is the handling like co,pared to the Focus as mine sticks to the road standard.

Also what colour do you recommend thinking black or silver.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers!!!!

dont get them started on colour lol

mine sticks like the preverbial but i just might not be pushing hard enough but it likes to c**k a wheel

Lee

BMW M2C

I had a 2.0 litre Focus Zetec ESP as my company car before I got the:D Clio. There isnt really much to compare in handling terms. The Focus did have plenty of grip, but even with only 130bhp it stuggled to put the power down onto the tarmac. Not a problem the Clio has, it just digs in and goes.

The Focus was easy to put into a slide with a good lift mid corner but didnt have the power to pull itself out of it. The Clio is happy to understeer or shift into oversteer with a good lift, and has plenty of power to keep the car in check.

The gearchange on the Clio is much better, but the clutch bite point is a little on the high side. Brakes are fine, they have so far stopped me okay!!

The Clio feels like a go kart. :D

The Focus was better put together though, and was a obviously a more comfortable ride. You cant have everything, handling or ride quality. The Clio strikes a pretty good balance IMO. Plus its got lots more nice toys over the Focus.

Colour argument time ;)

http://www.cliosport.net/gallery/clio172/1797-3.jpg

depends how you drive it.

Its fun......................wouldnt say it sticks, but as far as handling goes, its more than enough for most in std form.

Cheers guys.

Used to have a mini cooper so looking forward to go-kart handling again:devilish:

Seen plenty of silvers about and I love JillyBs:cool: black.

Again thanks for the comments

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Rod,

Stop posting pics of your car you bstard.. you know I want a blue one now..

In my opinion the handling in the mk2 is great, a bit too much body roll for me (sorted with some new springs)

According to one person on here the mk1 handling wasnt as good as the mk2, but I havent driven a mk1 172 so I couldnt compare.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 25 June 2003

According to one person on here the mk1 handling wasnt as good as the mk2, but I havent driven a mk1 172 so I couldnt compare.
Thatd be me then! Someone mentioned stiffer roll bars on the MK2. Dunno if thats true, but the handling just doesnt quite feel as solid on the MK1. Still love it though :D

I had a 1.6 Focus Zetec as a rented car when I bought my Williams and it was like a Go-cart - a total hoot to drive, the non zetec ones are soft tho.

paddy - does that blonde come with the car?;)

to the original question - the 172 seems to handle really well and i think the thing that sets it apart from most of the wannabes is that it lets you know what it is doing and then allows you to correct it really easily.

a top car

clio 20v

yeh its well known the red ones are quicker hehe

i can agree with focuss not being bad on handling i was quite impressed wen i drove one, underpowered tho

never driven a 172 so dont kno about the handling of it, so if any1 wants to let me to rag there 172 hehe

adi

:eek: bring it on, lol

and tbh my 17s are chewing at the arch liners when i hammer it hard into a roundabout so i gotta sort that out as its doing my head in

i wouldnt mind a go in a valver but i cant bring myself to hand the keys to my car to anyone, hated taking it for a service with the renault monkeys tbh

clio 20v

paddy lol a tenner u get the chance to drive mine all the birds will wanna shag ya cos u got harnesses hehe u shud pay me

172loony kno wot ya mean mate hate leavin my car with garages,oh an mine aint kno ordinary valver hehe

didnt say they were lookers tho paddy, could be right bushpigs so i wouldnt shake on it until you see the quality he is offering