ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ICE

Alrite there. Ive just picked up an 03 plate 172 an Im lookin to improve the quality of the sound system but I dont wanna cut holes in the parcel shelf or change the interior of the car at all. Has anyone just upgraded their head unit and speakers and got decent results?

What decent speakers are around that are the same size as the standard Clio ones?

Cheers, Ryan.

Just changed front components to Alpine spr-136a - won in max power this month for best sound quality. You wont be disappointed!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Alpine HU can improve the sound a lot but in the end your gonna need to change the speakers.

If you dont want to go messing with the car, try buying an expensive set of 13cm speakers and fitting them. Watch the fronts though as they have seperate tweeters which is a top dash off job.

Ta lads. Im definately gonna get a new head unit and some decent quality replacement fronts. Ive read on here that the top of the dash has to come off to fit the adaptor to let you use the steering wheel controls with a new head unit anyway so fitting the tweeters shouldnt be a problem.

What do you reckon about the rears tho, should I get a set of good quality replacements for the standard speakers or would the money be better spent on a set of 6x9s and a spare parcel shelf?

Nice one, Ryan.

172 FF

Ive just got a 172 on an 02 a couple of weeks ago & Im halfway thro sorting out the ICE.

I started with an Alpine CDA-9833R HU with the Stalk control adpters, followed by some SXE-1350S components for the front & Ive ordered a custom box for the boot to take my TypeS 12in Sub & probably get an MDA-M300 Amp to power it.

The HeadUnit made the sound a lot clearer than the std unit, & it looks better too. Ive got to wait a couple of weeks for the Sub Box, so I cant say how it all sounds yet. I was told by most tho, not to bother with the back seat speakers & just to put the base in the boot & mid-high at the front.

ST

I dont have a 172, but i got a 53 plate dynamique, totally changed the ICE in that from standard, got the rear quarter speakers disconnected not replaced coz theyre a big hassle to get to! Got MB Quart 5.25" components set with crossovers, mids in doors and the tweeters in the dash, MB Quart 6x9s on an acoustic stealth shelf! N dont listen to what anyone says about how frots can be blown easily! Lot of SH*T as long as theyve been amped correctly. And dont go cheap on them either, for good quality, youre looking at from £150 upwards.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Forget 6x9s in parcel shelf, you dont go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage ;)

If anything use the fader to put a bit of "fill" sound to the rear and keep the sounds comming from the front.