ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ignition problem

Renaultsport 172
Over the last few days my 172 has been having trouble starting. At the beginning of this week, when getting up early for work, the car would not start. It wouldn't even tick over. This happened each morning so I was getting a lift to the station with a mate but when I returned home in the evening, the car would start without a problem. I though it might be down to the cold/damp mornings but it failed to start again when I tried for the first time at midday today. It seems to be an electrical issue as you can tell from the sound of the video below. As I turn the key there is an electrical whine before it tries to tick over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvoF9XtmM8&feature=youtu.be

I'm not great when it comes to cars so I have very limited knowledge. I took the engine cover off and checked the HT leads - they all seem fine. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? And if so, if it's an expensive job?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
timSR3

the whine is the throttle body

What lights are showing on the dash? I'm pretty sure I can head the climate control moving the recirculation flap.

Does the immobiliser light go out/stay on solid or flash?

Renaultsport 172
@timSR3

the whine is the throttle body

What lights are showing on the dash? I'm pretty sure I can head the climate control moving the recirculation flap.

Does the immobiliser light go out/stay on solid or flash?

I managed to bump start the car and have driven it to my local garage for them to look at tomorrow, so I can't double check what lights show on the dash. From memory, they all light up when the key is first turned then just the hand break and immobiliser light are illuminated. And I think the immobiliser was on solid. Maybe the battery light was on too but I can't be sure.

When I arrived at my local garage (a 5 minute drive away), I turned the car off then started it again without a problem - suggests to me could be a battery issue?

It's at the garage now so hopefully they can look at it over the next couple of days. Just hope they diagnose it quickly and it doesn't take a huge chunk out of my bank balance.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If it was an immobiliser issue you wouldn't have been able to start it at all.

Battery light will be on if the car isn't running. In the video you can hear the engine turning and then when it's at compression is doesn't have enough juice to turn it over more.

Sounds like it just needs a new battery which is £40 at euro car parts. DIY job :)