ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Intermittent Speedo

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ah yes, the classic 172 intermittent speedo fault.

Its a 2003/03 Car. Does that mean its the later gearbox and therefore doesnt have a speedo sensor on it? Easiest way to tell?

And if it DOESNT Have a sensor, whats the next thing to check?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Speedo sensor is on the top of the box, under (ish) the coolant bottle.
A 2003 car shouldn’t be speedo drive though, should work off the ABS rings.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Speedo sensor is on the top of the box, under (ish) the coolant bottle.
A 2003 car shouldn’t be speedo drive though, should work off the ABS rings.
That was my worry. Because surely the ABS rings are either reading or not, and if theyre not, I'd have ABS faults. Which leaves me with.... an issue with the ABS module or cluster?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That was my worry. Because surely the ABS rings are either reading or not, and if theyre not, I'd have ABS faults. Which leaves me with.... an issue with the ABS module or cluster?
If it’s intermittent, a cracked/dirty/corroded ABS ring would be my go to. Get your wire brush and a can of brake cleaner out!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
If it’s intermittent, a cracked/dirty/corroded ABS ring would be my go to. Get your wire brush and a can of brake cleaner out!
Ive got sticky brakes so I was going to have it up and do an overhall anyway. Cheers! I'll try that first.

Has new rear discs and pads and the handbrake sticks a bit. Whats the betting the spacer is missing at the rear?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
One ABS ring was caked. Hasn’t fixed it. But is this the speed sensor?

BF497B7C-2B13-4676-8E10-1C91E67863FE.jpeg

If so, probably the issue ?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
f**k sake. What an idiot why didn’t I look?

Cheers fellas! At least my ABS rings are clean now.