ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 issues... help please

Clio 172 2001
I've been itching to attend one of these local meets and just as one approaches.... the inevitable happens my car breaks down. There I was plodding down the bypass in 5th doing 60mph and the car decides it doesn't want to drive any further and jumps outta gear makes a horrible grinding noise and smoke starts filling the cabin and coming out of the bonnet.. anyone got any idea what this could be? not much of a mechanic my self.. good at fixing computers but not cars lol.... and just to add insult to injury my drivers side HID has gone as well, I'v replaced the bulb but no joy... Anyone know of someone breaking a 172 ph 2 that has a drivers light available?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Kyle South Wales

Clio 172 2001
Its coming from the gearbox i think.. its hard to tell because I'v only started it once since it happened due to the frightening noise it was making.... I was just hoping hat someone would be able tell what it was due to what had happened with it jumping out of 5th, When it first went on the bypass I did try selecting another gear with no luck.. the gear stick would go into 3rd but there was no drive what so ever... I'm hoping it isn't the gearbox as they aren't cheap :( Does what I'v described sound like a clutch problem?

172 cup
As long as the engine still ticking along, does sound gearbox related, my old zr would jump out of 2nd every now and again till eventually the box went.

Clio 172 2001
never jumped out of gear before though :/ unless its just let go in a big way :( is there any other faults except the clutch that the gearbox letting go could cause?