ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 lost drive

Audi TT 225 Quattro
friend of mine has just got a 02 172 ff , he was out in it today and said he pulled out of a junction started to wheelspin ( it was wet ) heard a loud bang and felt the car shudder then lose all drive. it will go in to gear but wont drive forward, the speedo will go up as if the car is moving tho. does this mean the gearbox is fucked? or clutch? if its box anyone know where to get one from asap 2nd hand.. it a electronic speedo box if it makes any difference

cheers for any help:)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
ah i see, i did say to him pull the n/s shaft out and see if any bits fall out as its known to happen on the mk1's lol

Audi TT 225 Quattro
can he get a new circlip or pop the old one back in? or best to just change the box?

Unsure, hopefully someone else will reply and give the best option. Bloooor had a box rebuild to be safe...not sure if it will just pop back out again if its put back in (like the Mk1s)

Megane r26
i had this on a mk1 valver i was working on few months back popped new circlip an washer in an all was good. I have heard of these popping out again in past an i was told a few spot welds would sort problem? but like i said the one i did gave no further probs :)

If they are gonna go again they will go regardless of being welded :(

Mine ripped 4 x 1inch runs of weld clean off and popped it somehow!

Silver 172
happened to my mate the other day, he got a new circlip from renault for about £8 i think and he popped it back in and its fine now

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Defo the circlips - 100 %

All JC5 boxes on the 172 / 182 have them. Remove the N/S shaft and replace them with new units.

The circlips were used on most boxes up until 2005.

Part numbers -

1 - 7700720854

2 - 7703066331 / 7700113257 / 8200295074 - these are all the same part but the number has superseeded a few times

They cost a couple of quid each