ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Mk 2 Janspeed Decat (with pics!)

Elise/VX220/R26

Right well its on but as you would probably guess its not been straightforward.

Heres a pic of the decat not fitted:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1075576468__decat
">

Went to out local Gordons Tyres as it was wet so couldnt be arsed doing it myself. As it happens its a good job I did this because its not something you can easily do on your own unless youve got a good socket set.

Old cat came off no problems and the decat is a perfect fit so on it goes.

Pulled out of the garage and heard a clunk, so reversed straight back in and got it back on the ramps to find that one of the bolts had popped off or snapped off! (or not beeen tightened properly) so they redid it this time putting two nuts on.

Drove off again and its vibrating like mad at low revs. so Back into the garage again and up on the ramps we find a fairly bad problem with the design this janspeed decat.

although it has the two lambda sensor mounts the front one is in the wrong place. So when the sensor is screwed in the wire touches the heatshield causing the vibration. We sorted this by tie wrapping the cable to the front antil roll bar and it seems to be fine now, although I noticed that the gear linkage actually touched the top of the lambda sensor in reverse so Ill have to see how it goes.

Performance wise Ive not really had much chance to guage it yet with the weather but Ive just nipped out in it and it does feel quicker and more free revving (doing throttle blips on downchanges seems to happen more smoothly after the decat) Having said that I did rape a 4 up wrx wagon about anhour after getting it done :) .All in all I think its worth doing but I would take it to an exhaust place as fitting DIY is probably more hassle than its worth.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

All this talk is really making me tempted to order.

Keep us informed with your progress and how you like it. You running with a standard back box? or an aftermarket one?

ah its one for wusses its silenced lol well fred fitted mine in the dark with about 3 sockets and a maglite ok there was 3 of us but we only had 2 axel stands and 2 trolly jacks

Elise/VX220/R26

its on a standard backbox (decat makes very little difference to loudness) definately reccomend them

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear :)

It makes a difference in power, but not masses of difference in noise.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 31 January 2004

it dont look the best quality sorry to say :(
Thinking the same myself. I could weld better than that. It looks home made!! But then again if it works, it doesnt matter because its not like anyones going to see it!!!!

MEGANE

Have a go at mine today, at least i know what to expect, my janspeed one looks the same as yours! POOR QUALITY!! used to be a top notch tunning company.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

it wont make mush difference in noise as its silenced also saps power

So who makes an unsilenced one?
Is this something a powerflow agent could knock up?

it wont make mush difference in noise as its silenced also saps power
Why would there be any power difference between a silenced or unsilenced one?

Surely the internals of the exhausts are both the same.....

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

silenced or not does not affect performance, ask magnex, the one i had on my valver was silenced (magnex) we dont all want the loudest exhaust system possible dogmaul:devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 01 February 2004

Non silenced = pisses you off BIG style on m/w and you will remove it within a month:D
disagree

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 01 February 2004

silence = restriction
And again, disagree

hehehehehehehe

cause mine is noisy and im fine with it....the right system wont hum at 4000rpm where there is a natural resonance on all engines.

And not all silencing is restrictive, depending on what the engine is intended for. Reflective, absorbtion, refraction, deflection etc etc.

perforated tube with gauze take away very little power.

R

rich[182]

my concerns with noise are purely and simply how the neighbours will be, in the process of moving house and last thing i wanna do is wind them up

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 01 February 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 01 February 2004

silence = restriction
And again, disagree

how can you? any kind of interference with flow is a restriction isnt it? it may be small but its still a restriction.

maybe im wrong, i dunno.

ben oh i know about the noise remember i had the supersprint lol

i suppose your right about what the engine is designed for what is the 172 lump tuned for ?

Integra DC5 Type R

CUPPY, you can order one from motorsportworld.co.uk for the best deal (£81.00 + P&P @ £12.50 = £93.50). they are stainless too.

Janspeed make the sports catalytic converter for K-tec (K-tec = £337.23 + P&P; motorsportworld.co.uk = £275.00 + P&P)... i know where i would go!!!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by pep87 on 01 February 2004
Have a go at mine today, at least i know what to expect, my janspeed one looks the same as yours! POOR QUALITY!! used to be a top notch tunning company.

nah the quality is bang on. The welds and fit are are superb, its just that the top sensor location is wrong. I know its not higly polished or owt but it will be covered in sh*t within 2 hours on the road so that doesnt really matter. Id rather have it semi finished than shiney and not fitting.

As for all this debate about noise and silencing, I own a 172 FFS I want a bit of comfort! If I wanted pure noise Id strip a nova out and stick a chimney pot on it lol.

you got it on the car now matey? what you think then worth it? rick thanks for that matey....will this janspeed fit ok onto a magnex exhaust!!!! cheers

Did you not get any trouble with the warning light coming on the dash mate?? Im tempted myself but i dont want the dash to light up like a christmas tree..

MEGANE

No lights come on, not sure it improves performance that much, might have been expecting to much!! Does rev a bit better. slightly louder.

Integra DC5 Type R

Dogmaul is adamant you wont see lights... he is talking from experience, so he should know about it.

Should fit your Magnex without a problem, as the lengths and joints are the same.

I would like to know if this mod. is really cost effective and benefit a lot on the power and torque and at the same time, dont affect low end torque as told by others.

Integra DC5 Type R

It is probably one of most cost-effective mods you could buy. It costs less than £100, is definitely more cost-effective than a full stainless system, as the system on its own wont give you as much gains alone as a decat would.

Helps you engine breath much more easily, therefore make more power, smoother and quicker acceleration.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I spoke to a tuning company and they were saying that they would be very wary about fitting a decat pipe now. They said that they have heard of a number of people getting stopped and emissions tested at the side of the road, and if the car fails, then it is impounded and the driver is fined etc?

This is kinda putting me off a little as I dont want my little 172 impounded.

Integra DC5 Type R

If you walk across a road, there is a risk of getting run over.

If you drive up to a roundabout, there is a risk some tw*t will crash into you.

Risk, risk, risk.

Most modern engines now are very fuel efficient, some not really needing a catalytic converter at all.

a decat pipe on its own probably wont affect your emissions too much, but front-end mods like induction kits, chips, ECUs, cam jobs etc will increase fuel consumption and therefore emissions.

Installing Ecotek can be one of the workaround. I decat my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV, install Ecotek and tune properly. Measure the emission and found .... the emission is lower than the car equipped with CAT. I install back the CAT with Ecotek, close to zero emission. Bravo.