ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk2 optimum gear change and alarm

Have just purchased new clio 172 as import and a couple of things have me puzzled - gear change indicator and alarm as neither get a mention in the handbook but thought were part of spec. Where is the gear change indicator? Do you have to do anything to get it to work? How do you tell if the car has an alarm fitted without breaking in to it! Can anyone enlighten me!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Theres a little green indicator in the bottom right of your dash - its meant to look like a gear lever. It will light up green just before the rev-limiter kicks in. Its not actually the optimum point at which to change gear as the engine gets a bit breathless above 6500rpm. It also lights up when you turn on the ignition for a few seconds. Your alarm has been fitted in the UK - you should have a separate leaflet for this.

Welcome by the way!!

shut the door with the window down a bit and lock it with the central locking! then wave your hands around inside it! wait for it to go off ...if it ever does!

i didnt know gear change indicators were on the normal 172!

Yep, gear change light is on normal 172!!! I only found out about it after reading this site. At first I thought it was a neutral light, the same as on a bike (doh!!!!).

Not sure whether imports have an alarm. Just thought it was a cat 2 immobiliser. Ill have to try the above!!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Imports dont come with alarms....its Renault UK that fit them prior to sending them to the dealers.

So you havent got one unless you specified it with the importer.

Clio 200 FF

Most 172s if not all with alarms have ultrasonic sensors on the windscreen pillars (look like small microphones)

Thanks for clarifying the gear change indicator - I was looking at the rev counter rather than the speedo!

Tried waving my arms around in the car etc. but looks as if there is no alarm - any recommendations as the Renault one seems expensive at £301.

Revels Mum & Sister

I wouldnt bother with a crap alarm mate. Your car is pricey.

Go for a Clifford Arrow 3 with Single Zone Proxy sensor. Acts the same as the renault one but doesnt use Small "Microphones".

Possibly better than the renault one. Or if you want to spend more. Go for the Concept 300 (Cat 1 alarm)

Arrow 3 is about £275 (Fitted)

Concept 300 is about £330 (Fitted)

Well at Brother in laws company. Other places may charge different money. Go for a reputable dealer. As wrongly installed alarms are a never ending nightmare! All alarms have there faults though!

RB5 & 172

are the gear change indicators standard on all mkI 172s aswell?

i thought they were but mine does not seem to have one, when i called the dealer they told me they were only ever on the early mkIs?