ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 MK2 REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING

Has anyone had problems with central locking i.e. unable to lock/unlock if more than one metre away from the car. My local dealer fitted a new circuit board which increased the distance in which the key operated but since then the passenger window failed to operate. The dealer then suggested that the wiring loom was faulty, having replaced that ,the window still does not work, they are now going to fit another circuit board but they say it may reduce the operating distance of the key back to its original state.They wondered if the distance problem was due to the car being an import as the 172 they had in stock had no problems with locking.

the range on my key remote has always been really poor, only works from a few meters , battery failed in 1st key after <1 year

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

mine has a crap range on it too, a few meters at best, but if your next to the car it works flawlessly everytime.

I am gonna change that batteries in the keys, see if that helps it a bit.

Clio 1.6 16V

My old 1.6 16V Dyna+ had this problem. You normally had to use the plip almost right up to the side window to get it working. It was also variable, some days working a couple of metres away.

The 172 is completely different, being able to trigger it about 20 metres away. Both the above cars, to my knowledge use the same central locking and CAT1 Cobra alarm systems.

A few years back I installed a Cobra alarm to my MKII 16V Golf. On the wiring loom I remember there was a wire marked "antenae". I found that the trigger distance was varaiable depending where this wire was routed under the dash. I eventually routed it through the firewall into the engine bay and had no problems after that (The car shell/metalwork was acting like a screen to the radio reception) . Poke in the dark, but maybe there is a similar problem with Clio / 172s, recieving bad radio reception from their plip transmitters?

It would appear that all the cars coming into the UK are not fitted with alarm systems, these being fitted post factory in locations throughout the UK (My 172 CAT1 certificate has a Teeside stamp on it). Therefore there may be differences in how systems are installed, which may explain why some work well and other dont .......just an idea!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

@Flying Jock

you are bang on matey!!

its the cat 1 fitment its done locally (uk)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

so what needs to be done to fix an Import with a crap reception ? does anyone know where on a mk2 172 this antena is or is it a Warranty/Dealer job ?

Mk2 Clios have a much shorter reception range than the Mk1. Mine works up to 40 meters away but the Mk2 I test drove you had to be standing right next to the car. Dont know why they changed it.

Mine is an import car with the CAT1 upgrade. I have no problem arming/disarming from up to 20+ metres away. Although if there are alot of other cars about (the car park at work) then sometimes the range is a little less, perhaps 10-15 metres. Ive never had to stand right up close to the car.

Maybe the problem is not the alarm, but the location. Im no rocket scientist but would not alot of other background ratiation at frequencies similar to the alarm affect its performance?

Andy

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes they would, but It is consistenly bad at different locations.

I am gonna try changing the battery in mine b4 i go to see the Renault peeps.

Its cr120 isnt it for the mk2 pliper.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Okay, well I replaced the cr1220 battery and it sorta helped.

Now I can use the pliper from a few meters away, but not from the back of the car .. it only seems to work if you are standing in a striaght line away from either the passenger or drivers door, or if you are very close to the bonnet.

I will investigate further, maybe ask one of the Renault peeps where the antena is.

Car is going back to the dealer tomorrow to try another circuit board, I will mention the suggestions re. the antenae and let you know how I get on.

I think the reciever is mounted in the roof, above the passengers sunvisor. It should be attatched to the actual metal work of the vehicle. If it comes loose then range may be lost. Mark 1 this is, dont know if this helps peeps!??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

rain/light sensor is in the rear view mirror bit, if you look at it through the windscreen you can see it just above the rear view mirror..

Im glad im not the only person with this problem. My clio is the same. sometimes i have to have the key on the window and press the button before the thing will open yet other times i can get a good range on it 1 or 2 meters :eek:

although i did mange to get it to unlock from about 4 meteres away although that is when it was on a drive and i was at the bottom and it was parked at the top so the slant of the drive helped it :)

If anyone finds away of making the range better i would be very interested to here how to do it.

Thanks

At last, my local dealer has cured the problem. At first they replaced the receiver(which is in fact the ring that surrounds the ignition keyswitch) this had no effect, they then replaced the programable circuit board that controls the central locking/windows etc. Hey Presto! it works, I can now use the remote from any angle at a much greater distance away and the passenger window is back to normal. The work was all done under warrantyand the dealer could not have been more helpful.

I shall definatly be taking mine in to see if anything can do. My seems to have got worse. Im lucky to get 1 meter on it!