ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or R27?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Atm i own a standard mk2 172 and think i'ts a great little car, it handles well and feels light and fast.

But it's 5 years old and done over 76,000 miles and now feel it might be time for a change. I've been quoted a very good price on a new Clio R27 and am quite tempted :)

Do any owners of 197/R27 clios miss their old 172-182's?

Wait for the next incarnation as the 197 Cup was supposed to be all singing and dancing but is infact is nothing to write home about...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Making the same decision here myself, not sure if to wait for the cup or not.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Surely an R26 is a similar price? More power, front diff, bucket loads of torque, similar fuel economy.

cock mobile.
Surely an R26 is a similar price? More power, front diff, bucket loads of torque, similar fuel economy.

I think the R27 now has a list price of £13,995 the R26 list price is still ~£19,750 not that you'd pay that!

Black 197
Yes.... I do miss my 172, what you lose in the raw driving experience, you make up for in looks and quality feel. In the 197 I feel a class above, meaning when i see a golf gti, im not bothered any more, dont feel like im in supermini class. Tbh your 172 might not be worth that much now in cash value, could you not keep both? I wish I had!

M135i
^you went to the wrong dealer! if you're still interested in one, give me a PM ;)

I'm ordering my R27 today :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Well i've been offered one with Xenons for a very good price.

Gaz 197 i have been toying with the idea of keeping the 172 ,as space isn't a problem, and i doubt it's worth much.

Black 197
Fletch, if you can keep it and insure/run them both then go for it. I think sometimes that I could sell my 197 and buy a mint 172 or 182 with none of the problems mine had and bank the difference or spend a bit of it fixing any of the problems. Its a tough one but I think it would be hard for anyone to miss their old 1*. It was easier for me because I had an audi in between reno's. I even offered it to my mrs for free but she didnt want it.

Clio 197 (in black)
The 172 is a pocket rocket for sure and you will miss aspects of it and with the 197 what you gain is improved build and refinement.

The 197 is a fantastic car but won't feel as quick as your 172 (though the 197 IS quick). On the plus side, the 197 is more substantial. More solid. More 'mature'. Looks fantastastic too imho. The 197 is more than just a 'supermini' and can compete against Golfs GTIs and Focus STIs....

(I love my 197 - it's my fourth Renault!)

Tappd'd RS
I wondered how my R27 would compare to the 172 Cup I had, but it's hard to make a direct comparison - it's been 3 1/2 years and in the interim i've had a CTR, EVO VIII MR and Astra VXR.

I can't remember ever driving a car that was so much fun to drive and put such a smile on my face. You don't have to give it stick just to enjoy it.

It's great being in a Clio again :D

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I own a 225 and still miss my 172, i think 1*2s are the types of cars you just miss and always will.

B

Brown.

i own a mk2 V6 and i miss my little 182 with its 40mm apex springs :(

M2 Competition
R27 without a doubt, no point keeping both, what would you gain from that apart from lots of running costs.

Oh, and either black or silver ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
R27 without a doubt, no point keeping both, what would you gain from that apart from lots of running costs.

Atm my 172 is silver so i fancy a change and i haven't go the time to keep black clean :dapprove:

If i do get one it will be between either Racing blue of Red :)

LY V6 with Recaros
I'm sure you'll miss the 172 as they are great fun little cars, but if you're feeling it's time to move on then the R27 is a newer, better built car, and looks lush in racing blue and silver! Have a drive in one before hand though and see what you think :)

Tappd'd RS

Atm my 172 is silver so i fancy a change and i haven't go the time to keep black clean :dapprove:

If i do get one it will be between either Racing blue of Red :)

Having seen an RB and then Alan's red one in the flesh I'd go for a red one :)

Theyre the only colours ive seen, not sure which id choose tbh!! Hmmmmm!

Think id probably lean towards the red..

Get yellow, Fletch!!

I do mate, think it looks really good. The red does look cracking tho!!

I think id go for the red as ive only had blue cars so far (both of them! lol) so its time for a change, but tbh id be perfectly happy with either of them!

I went from a FF 172 to my 197 back in August, I do still miss my 172, no doubt!! The feeling of being part of the car and the involvment you have with it is just not there with a 197. However, it makes up for it in other ways. The handling, brakes, build quality and looks. Plus, the noise it makes is awesome at high revs!!:)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Well i've decided to keep my 172.

Today i had along test drive in a 197 with Recaros, and as much as i liked the handling, gearbox, and noise it just didn't feel as quick and as much fun as my 172, great car though.

I think i'm now going to go for either a MK2 v6, or Clio Trophy next year.:)

VW Potato
guys, what is the list price of R27, and what's a reasonable price to pay discount-wise?

FYI - my nearest dealer is on the Bath Road in Slough/Cippenham, or Reading. I'm not sure if there's one near Staines or in Maidenhead anymore.

cheers,

g

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
guys, what is the list price of R27, and what's a reasonable price to pay discount-wise?

FYI - my nearest dealer is on the Bath Road in Slough/Cippenham, or Reading. I'm not sure if there's one near Staines or in Maidenhead anymore.

cheers,

g

Today i was offered a R27

Flat colour [Red or racing blue]
Xenons
Climate Control
Ipod connection

for 15K.

From Martins Renault Basingstoke.