ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or SRi

BMW 118d

I know you lot will be biased, but I am thinking of changing my car in a few months time (currently an 02 plate 1.2 Authentique). Should I get

a) 02/52 ish plate 172 (needs to be low mileage)
b) Brand new 1.8SRi corsa (can get these cheap!!)

Thanks for your comments!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The 172 will mailto:cr@p">cr@p all over the Corsa from a great height in both performance & handling...

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Matts,

Ive done both,gone for a second hand but more powerfull motor over a brand new less powerfull car...and new but less powerfull over a second hand more powerfull.

Each to their own but if i was in that position again id go for the brand new.You cant beat being the first owner and the thrill of a new car,along with fresh warranties and knowing all of the cars history etc

You have to like the lesser car (In terms of performance) of course but dont make the mistake of trying to justify it against the other more powerfull car and trying to convince yourself its something its not.

The Corsa Sri is not exactly a pile of poop anyway and id imagine you would be well chuffed with a new one of these.

My mate bought a 1.8 corsa SRI when the first come out, my 1.9205 hammered it, not a very nice car at all. A lot of money to get dropped by saxos!

ff 182

my missus has a corsa mate and they are crap mate they aint worth the money have a looking clarkson times magazine.

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 21 March 2004

Matts,

Ive done both,gone for a second hand but more powerfull motor over a brand new less powerfull car...and new but less powerfull over a second hand more powerfull.

Each to their own but if i was in that position again id go for the brand new.You cant beat being the first owner and the thrill of a new car,along with fresh warranties and knowing all of the cars history etc

You have to like the lesser car (In terms of performance) of course but dont make the mistake of trying to justify it against the other more powerfull car and trying to convince yourself its something its not.

The Corsa Sri is not exactly a pile of poop anyway and id imagine you would be well chuffed with a new one of these.

Mate, youre absolutely right there. When I got my Clio Dynamique, I had two other cars in mind. A Toyota MR2 GT 16V T-Bar, and a Volvo 850R. The 850R can crack 155mph and do nought to sixty in a shade over 6.5 seconds. Its a stonking car, and cost over 3 years would have been equal to the Clio, as was the Toyota MR2 (less depreciation but higher maintenance & running costs!!!!)

BUT at the end of the day, although the MR2 and 850R had a massive power and performance advantage, the Dynamique is new and warrantied and has that special "new car" feeling. Everything will work and I know that parts are going to be cheap if I need them, tyres for example, the climate control will work. Just gives me a secure and happy feeling to have the Clio.

Id still like an 850R though, but Im going to leave it a bit and enjoy the trouble-free motoring the Dynamique offers me!!

Clio1400

only thing having a new one...you get the excitement of seeing all that heavy ddepreciation in the first couple of yoears, and the thrill of some other wormsha*ger buying it for a song after you have cherised it and looked after it.

Find a low milage 172, there are lots about, and some are women owner therefore not likely(no defo either) to have been battered from day one!

Meg on pistonheads £6995

21% off? still about 10.5K!!

NEW 172 from Car Supermarket for £10995!

or try a UK broker?

Ive seen a MINT standard CUP on here for £9250!

insignia

the new corsa 1.8 was rated in the sunday times yesterday by jeremy clarkson as the worst car in its class. there were loads of reasons why,why anyone would consider it against a 172 simply cannot understand