ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Overheating Problem

Clio RS 172 2002
A bit of history: a couple of years ago it overheated to the point of beeping and flashing engine lights. Workshop said it was the water pump, changed it and the belts. Said they needed to spend time getting pump bits out of the radiator etc.\

Last year had some overheating problems again, my usual workshop said the water pump was weeping (I certainly was). It found that a split in the small coolant pipe that goes from the thermostat housing back to the heater core. There was just enough slack in the pipe for me to cut it and put it back on. It worked ok for a while.

Now I have issues where the temperature gauge needle swings wildly from half-way up to the top. The radiator fan runs almost constantly on full speed but -- this is the trick -- the top radiator hose is hot but the radiator itself is cold. The heater core is bloody hot, so coolant is getting around.

I've changed the thermostat, tested it in a saucepan and it opens, and flushed the radiator. Twice.

There may be a small leak in the radiator, but it remaining cold is confusing me.

Any ideas or suggestions?

As an aside I just started a new job with a long-is commute, about 30 minutes in city traffic and about 40 minutes highway. The car is averaging 6.0 litres per 100km and is running well apart from the overheating. It's got 220,000km on the odometer. I just changed the oil and it does not have water in it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
have you compression tested the engine at all? maybe the original overheat cracked the head or similar

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Have you changed the coolant temperature sensor? That's where I'd start as you need to be strapping a turbo to one of these and going racing to see it over heat.

Clio RS 172 2002
Something of an update... the coolant hose had a small leak at the back of the thermostat. The radiator had a small leak. The water pump was weeping. All have been changed. Still overheating. The footwell is full of coolant: next is the heater core!

Im now searching for instructions for changing the heater core... any suggestions?

Thanks