ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 owners mite wana look at this!!!!!

ive driven cooper s numerous times at work and they are nippy not quick they have less power and more weight than a 172, either the lad is talking poop or the bloke in the 172 cant drive. ask benr about the head casting on them, w**k

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CooperS-Boy on 29 September 2003

But does the 172 have more power than a Cooper S??? Remember the RR day at Nobles anyone??
But its not all about outright peak power and you know that...

The Cooper S is heavier than a mk2 172, let alone a mk1 or a Cup, so lets talk power-to-weight ratios and see what the bhp/tonne figures are.

Your right Rich and I wasnt trying to spark anything off. I dont give a sh*t about what power the Cooper S puts out compared to a 172 as mine is modded anyway.

I do know this though out of experiences in the past against 172 of different varieties with "duals" I have had with people on here.

Std Cooper S vs MK 2 172 = Equal result straight line rolling upto well over a ton. Think the 172 owner was quite suprised on the night.

Hartge Cooper S vs MK 1 172 = 172 was mighty impressive and I couldnt start pulling away properly until well into 3 figures. Outside temp was 28 degrees though but this wouldnt have helped either car obviousley but I know that a supercharger enjoys cool air.

Hartge Cooper S vs 172 Cup = Cooper S could only pull a car length or so up to around 90 and then had to back off. Think it would have been similar outcome to the MK 1 172 where I couldnt start pulling properly until well into 3 figures.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Your right Rich and I wasnt trying to spark anything off. I dont give a sh*t about what power the Cooper S puts out compared to a 172 as mine is modded anyway.
Yeah, I wasnt trying to start anything either, although re-reading my post it does look like I was having a go at you, but Im not... :)

Quote:

I do know this though out of experiences in the past against 172 of different varieties with "duals" I have had with people on here.
Std Cooper S vs MK 2 172 = Equal result straight line rolling upto well over a ton. Think the 172 owner was quite suprised on the night.
Whos mk2 was that?!

Hartge Cooper S vs MK 1 172 = 172 was mighty impressive and I couldnt start pulling away properly until well into 3 figures. Outside temp was 28 degrees though but this wouldnt have helped either car obviousley but I know that a supercharger enjoys cool air.

Hartge Cooper S vs 172 Cup = Cooper S could only pull a car length or so up to around 90 and then had to back off. Think it would have been similar outcome to the MK 1 172 where I couldnt start pulling properly until well into 3 figures.
Yeah, its only at those higher speeds that the Hartge Cooper Ss extra power & torque will come into play and the Mini will start to get away