ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 panel filter theory!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Okay, I may be totally wrong here, but heres how its felt to me.

A few months ago I swapped my standard filter for a Pipercross panel filter. The result seemed to be that it pulled a little better from low revs and caused the engine note to be a little more boomy. It also made it idle a little more lumpy and there were a couple of noticeable flat spots, but overall it felt a little quicker. My 1/4 mile time also improved, but this could have been due to conditions, or me improving.

Anyway, I took the filter out last week to get some work done by Renault, and as before the car went back to running far smoother with a less noticeable drop in two places in the rev range.

Yesterday I had the Magnex cat back system fitted. On the way back from Wales it felt as quick as normal, nice and smooth with no real drops. But I couldnt help thinking it was struggling a little from the mid range and certainly higher up the rev range.

So, my theory being more air is getting out, so therefore it would be good to get a little more in. So I dropped the Pipercross back in.

Ive just been for a quick spin down to Blockbuster, so on the way back I thought Id take a longer route and see how it felt. It now feels spot on, it pulls hard all the way to the red line and doesnt seem to have the noticeable flat spots.

Oh and it sounds amazing :D

Does my theory make sense, or is it more likely to be in my head?

Thanks
Lee

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

what more air out req more air in?

yeah it would make sense

2012 WRX Waggon

Lee when they fitted ur Cat back...did they have to butcher the original to get it out?

I think the "more air out req more air in" should be the other way round.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 19 October 2003

Lee when they fitted ur Cat back...did they have to butcher the original to get it out?

I think the "more air out req more air in" should be the other way round.
The original looks fine to me. The middle and back section appear to seperate which just about allowed me to get it in the car for the drive home. Its in the shed ready to go back on should I decide to sell the car. Heavy bit of kit it is too.

lol, yeah I see what you mean, the other way round does make more sense.

2012 WRX Waggon

how much it all cost Lee fitted? Did they have to drop ur axle to get the original off without choppin it?

Really fancy one for Christmas :D

hope Santas listening!!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

All in with my Cliosport discount it was £332.24 I think. I didnt watch the entire process as I was too busy looking at wheels and other stuff in the show room, but I dont think they did. They just seperated the back box from the centre pipe. Took them about an hour to do the entire job.

2012 WRX Waggon

cheers mate!:)

I am gonna have to have a crawl underneath to see what the score is.

hey u should be able to hit the 14s now :D

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 19 October 2003

They just seperated the back box from the centre pipe.
OE zorst is 1 piece and the only way to get it off whole is to drop the axle...(mine is in the attic...in 1 piece!!)

so the reason yours is in 2 pieces is they cut it off...no probs tho as Reno do a small pipe to join them up again:D