ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ph1 exhaust

Clio 172 ph1
hi

I was told I'm likely to need a new back box and middle section soon because it's blowing air. Renault quoted £103 for back box, 148 for middle. Are there places which are cheaper?

Andy

Chocolate Bar™
not really, but you can get a stainless one for not alot more pennies which will outlast the car.

Clio 172 ph1
well it want to keep it original with original noise. Do the exhausts suddenly go if it's blowing a bit of air or does it gradually get louder?

Thanks

Lots of Alfas
As well as the back and centre section youll need a new fitting sleve, and gasket, plus possibly new centre to cat bolts and nuts. You can fit it yourself, no welding required it just all bolts on like a big mechano kit.

PH1 172 Sport
www.eurocarparts.com

failing this it may be cheaper to buy an aftermarket one.

dont worry mate the exhaust is just one of the many achillies heels of the Clio Phase 1

The exhaust's are shite no matter what phase sport you have. A renualt one will last 2 years max on average miles.

If you plan on keeping the car for a few years I would personally get a performance stainless system and never worry about replacing it again otherwise stick to a renault one as the cheaper systems can see a decrease in power

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
well it want to keep it original with original noise. Do the exhausts suddenly go if it's blowing a bit of air or does it gradually get louder?

Thanks

Go somewhere that'll make you a custom one and get them to make it as quiet as possible to keep the noise down :)

Mine went and it didn't take long from it blowing a little to the back box falling off. Just a crap design, and due to the 1 piece nature of the exhaust from the factory you need to buy 2 bits to replace it the first time round, will be about £400 all in using Renault items I'd have thought.

Lots of Alfas
As above id go aftermarket. Yozza do a quiet quality stainless exhaust.

I bought a new renault exhaust, before fitting Ive strengthened it and sprayed it with high temp anti corrosion paint, so far its lasted 3 years and looks good on the outside but I think its destroying itself from the inside, they are no good.

Lots of Alfas
The only one that comes closest is the yozza quiet road exhaust, its free flowing than the standard one and only slightly louder..

Clio 172 ph1
so as long as i go for the right one, the powerflow and yozzasport exhausts are the way to go? whats the sort of turn around time if i went into a powerflow dealer this week? could you possibly get it fitted while you wait?

ph1 172
thing is with aftermarket exhausts on the ph1, unless u get a custom 1 which bends downwards at the back end like the original, they all sit really low dont they. cus of the back bumper getting in the way

Clio 172 ph1
yeah if i go for aftermarket id like one that bends down like the original, are there any of these about?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
so as long as i go for the right one, the powerflow and yozzasport exhausts are the way to go? whats the sort of turn around time if i went into a powerflow dealer this week? could you possibly get it fitted while you wait?

Got mine made and fitted while I waited. Took 2-3h. Booked it in the week before. Make sure you get a good place, I've heard some do a poor job compared to others.

Clio 172 ph1

Got mine made and fitted while I waited. Took 2-3h. Booked it in the week before. Make sure you get a good place, I've heard some do a poor job compared to others.

im in the midlands so can anyone recommend any places? i'd just like to keep it as close to the original sound as possible, and does this exhaust bend down like the original. £270 sounds good, looking at more like £300 for back box, middle part and sleeve from renault.

Clio 172 ph1
if I decided to go with Renault to guarentee keeping the original sound, how much do they tend to charge for fitting these bits? Just a bit worried about buying an aftermarket one then not being happy with it.

Cheers

Lots of Alfas
Not much i would have thought, it takes about 20 mins up on the ramps. Its so easy to do yourself though..

Clio 172 ph1
I think I've decided on a powerflow from a place I saw recommended on here. Guy said he's made quite a few quiet ones where someone has just wanted a standard exhaust but stainless steel. Quoted £230 for it fitted. Anything I can do to make the current one last til then?

Clio 172 Ph1
Andy,

Where was that? I've got a loud Powerflow exhaust on at the moment from when I brought the car last year and am definitely needing to part ways with it.

£230 sounds very reasonable.

Cheers
S