ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ph1 gearboxes

PH1 172 Sport
I think they are one of the least problematic RS gearboxes. There are many high mileage PH1's on here still on there first gearbox and some even on there first clutch. Depends on how the car is driven and has been driven by previous owners.

53 Clio's & counting
mines on 124k now and still on its original clutch and box, i think it does depend on how it was looked after, also i think Clio's suffer badly from the 'friday afternoon car' syndrome, get a bad one and you will see no end of trouble, get a good one and look after it and you will be fine

SQ5
Mine had a little crunching going into second and third, then a knuckle on the driveshaft exploded all the tiny needles into the box, didn't last that long after that but it would be on around 97, quite impressive!

Ph1
Mines just turned 110k on original box. Very slightly notchy on rushed changes but i blame that on the grade of box oil we put in, soon to be changed.

Apart from that, solid

RS RIP
are'nt the gears also longer on these ?

I'm thinking when accelerating in my cup i have to keep the gear hand on the stick because the first two gears are so short ! All this gearchanging will also put stress on the box ... better have a good ol' ph quick box !?

Are these a straight swap ? Ph1 to 172 cup ?

www.renparts.co.uk
as said 3rd gear synchro is a problem, they are not a bad box really considering the age of the design and the RS Clios generally get quite a lot of stick.

M

mini-valver

are'nt the gears also longer on these ?

I'm thinking when accelerating in my cup i have to keep the gear hand on the stick because the first two gears are so short ! All this gearchanging will also put stress on the box ... better have a good ol' ph quick box !?

Are these a straight swap ? Ph1 to 172 cup ?

Yes but you'll have no speedo then. RS's except the cup use the ABS rings for the speedo IIRC.

Renault Clio 16v
yep, so i've been led to beleive. i was sold my box as a ph1 172 box off of Ben_p i think and it has a speedo drive

RS RIP
so they are a straight swap then ?
No speedo-difference between the 172 cup + the ph1 ?

I would love longer gears on mine.. I have gotten rid of some weight , she ways 960 kg now so this box sounds ideal

(not ever touching it when not breaking it but will be good to know)

RS RIP
Thank you Edde.

anyone on the longer gears ? They are longer are'nt they ?

so it's possible to refurb MY box (cup) with all the parts of a phase 1 box ?

Last edited:
Thank you Edde.

anyone on the longer gears ? They are longer are'nt they ?

so it's possible to refurb MY box (cup) with all the parts of a phase 1 box ?

Not relay that much different realy

as for swopping bits some bits can be others won't fit if you want longer ratios use diesel gearbox bits as well or go custom made