ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ph1 high revs and cutting out

2001 172 ph1
My ph1 somtimes revs high when i dip the clutch coming to juctions and sometimes it cuts out completly i have cleaned the throttle body, still no joy, would cleaning the inlet manifold help? also should i change coil, plugs, leads? thanks

53 Clio's & counting
Idle control valve I expect mate, cleaning the inlet wont do anything, unless its been off and there is an air leak.

53 Clio's & counting
Depends, you can buy just the valve unit off ebay, or the whole thing from Renault mate.

You might get away with cleaning it out with carb cleaner but rarely works.

since you need to dismantle the valve to fit the ebay one you could try dismantling and cleaning the one you have. It worked for me, it may work for you.

The bit that is in the picture is what you will get and this screws/bolts into a plastic housing that connects to the back of the inlet manifold. you'll need to unscrew/bolt your old one and replace it with the new one, not sure if they'll give you the rubber o-rings with your new one so if they dont make sure you transfer those, too.

How do you do this? any pics? thanks

I'm afraid not, but the bit you buy on ebay is revetted onto a plastic housing that bolts onto the plenum. You'll need to remove the rivets and replace them with M5(?) bolts to fit the new valve. If you look at the pic on ebay you can see the end that seats inside the housing, it's a plastic type material that was gummed up something horrible on my car, I gave that a good clean and cleaned up the seat in the housing.

I think it'll all make sense when you get it off, but you will need some bolts to hold it all together.

2001 172 ph1
I'm afraid not, but the bit you buy on ebay is revetted onto a plastic housing that bolts onto the plenum. You'll need to remove the rivets and replace them with M5(?) bolts to fit the new valve. If you look at the pic on ebay you can see the end that seats inside the housing, it's a plastic type material that was gummed up something horrible on my car, I gave that a good clean and cleaned up the seat in the housing.

I think it'll all make sense when you get it off, but you will need some bolts to hold it all together.

Thanks mate i understand now, where will i get the new o rings, would it be ok to clean with wd40? thanks for you help

SC 172 FF
i have the same problem!.....idles at 2k when dipping clutch, very sluggish and cuts out if you drive too fast and then slow down quickly....may give this a try!

would the part above fit a ph2 172 as well?