ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172, PH1 or PH2?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Hi, im new to this site and am thinking of getting a 172 but cant decide on wither a PH1 or PH2. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Ph1 there faster, respond better to mods (better cylinder head), look better, cable throttle, cheaper etc (I'm not biased by the way ;P)

Evo 5 RS
Hi,

depends on your budget. Phase 1 is the 'better' car IMO but if you buy cheap you'll regret it. Have a good think about it and look up on here what to look out for. There is a buyers guide in the guide section.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
ph2 if you want a nicer interior, climate control, marginally better steering wheel and cruise control, ph1 if you want speed, handling and looks

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated. it looks like im sliding to the ph1 :p but the ph2 just has someting about it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's your opinion on the looks. Essentially they are the same car.

After owning both, I'd have a ph1 any day... I still miss mine a bit ! The Ph2 was just a small French girls car and TBH most of the time I forget I had it.

You can change the dash and interior in a weekend, the steering wheel needs retrimming or go after market, and you're there. Ph2 'luxuries' with ph1 winning.

Job done :D

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
What are the ph1's like to work on? i work for land rover as a mechanic so i would be doing all the stuff to the car.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Ph1 all day long. You will get to know your way about it soon enough when you start tinkering ;)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
buy mine and you wont need to go under the bonnet ;) everything is new. lol

clio 172
Hi,

depends on your budget. Phase 1 is the 'better' car IMO but if you buy cheap you'll regret it. Have a good think about it and look up on here what to look out for. There is a buyers guide in the guide section.

this is going to turn sour! lol sorry have a missed this the better car ? what why? faster ? a ?

The phase 1 in my view is ugly, compare the ph 1 and the ph2 v6's. Ph2 is way better in everyway as in all cliosports !

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
this is going to turn sour! lol sorry have a missed this the better car ? what why? faster ? a ?

The phase 1 in my view is ugly, compare the ph 1 and the ph2 v6's. Ph2 is way better in everyway as in all cliosports !

yes ph2 vee's look better, but the 2.0l renaultsport clios are very much to taste really as many people see the older model of every car uglier and worse than the new one, i personally love the looks of the ph1 but prefer the ph2 package

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Wrong, and ive owned both btw.

Passat
Same car, get what you prefer. Theres nothing in it performance-wise despite what some of the super-human drivers on here say.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I own a phase 1 and phase 2 and if i had to sell one it would be the phase 2 all day long......

I'd swap my ph2 for a ph1 if I hadn't piled so much £ into it but it's like gambling when you are chasing a loss!

Don't be fooled by the ph2 being "newer" it will still rattle like a b*tch as well!

Ph1 probably looks better (although dated, it's got a classic shape) and has genuinely better throttle response... Speedwise, they are neck and neck!