ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Ph2 Starting & Stalling Issues - tdc, tb, immobiliser?

Hi Guys,

My car has been cutting out upon slowing down and also has had some intermittent starting issues. I can see a million and one posts regarding this subject but what is not always clear is what the successful solution if any was, or what helped to diagnose the bad part.

My car is a PH2 172, so it does not have an idle control valve.

The first symptom I got was the car not always starting first time, but it would start after a couple of attempts. Then the car started to stall whilst in traffic (normally after motorway driving), and stalling whilst braking for traffic as the revs where dropping (car in 1st or 2nd gear @ 2000rpm ish).

I gave the car a decent service; new oil, oil filter, fuel filter, cleaned air filter, spark plugs, carb cleaner on throttle body until clean (spraying slowly whilst the car was idling, but the car did keep stalling). The car was then idling slightly erratic, I presume it was the burning of the carb cleaner that had gathered as the car had kept stalled. I tried fitting a gas flowed throttle body from ebay and the car wanted to idle @ 3000-3500rpm very erratically so I sent that item back. I had the car on a diagnostics machine and it displayed 4 error codes all relating to the immobiliser, the garage cleared them and said it would likely be a week or two before the problem would display again. They gave me the number of someone who could program it to bypass the immobiliser at start up (£200). I drove the car to work and booked the immobiliser guy for the next day, whilst driving to work the car stalled in gear just as I was about to change down, this doesn't sound like an immobiliser problem so I postponed it not wanting to waste £200.

Last year I had a fairly similar issue but the engine light kept displaying, I changed the tdc sensor which didn't 100% fix it, then a garage fitted a new battery as the car would not start which did fix it 100% for the year (I don't understand why).

From the info I have seen on CS people have changed tdc sensors, throttle bodies, ecu's, pedal boxes, removed immobilisers, etc. I can't afford to keep changing these items in hope that it fixes the issue. I am really hoping for ideas from people who have resolved similar issues, it would be greatly appreciated.