ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 phase 1 throttle body

172 cup
Hi all
I've just become a proud owner of another Clio sport previously had a 172 cup.
I've now got myself a phase 1 but it's got the sticky tb problem, It's 100% not the cable could anyone give me any info on the right way to strip and clean or a link to a guide as I can't seem to find one on hear.
Cheers

SQ5
Firstly, how do you know it's not the cable?

Secondly, remove air filter and remove throttle body. 4 bolts and throttle cable.

Undo the two torx inside, turn throttle and remove. Pull spindle out the side,.

Clean up, lube up spring, put back together.

This is from memory so may be slightly different but that's the jist of it.

172 cup
Firstly, how do you know it's not the cable?

Secondly, remove air filter and remove throttle body. 4 bolts and throttle cable.

Undo the two torx inside, turn throttle and remove. Pull spindle out the side,.

Clean up, lube up spring, put back together.

This is from memory so may be slightly different but that's the jist of it.

172 cup
Thanks for the reply
The cable has Been changed recently and its smooth and free the throttle body is the problem I think, I can remove it just wonderd how take it all apart because I heard the problem will come back if it's not striped and done properly

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The problem will still come back because it's 14 years old and worn. I've had about four or five TBs, stripped, cleaned, lots of different oils for lubing etc and they always go the same way after a short time. Just buy a new one.

SQ5
The problem will still come back because it's 14 years old and worn. I've had about four or five TBs, stripped, cleaned, lots of different oils for lubing etc and they always go the same way after a short time. Just buy a new one.

No longer made by Renault.

172 Ph1
When i had my throttle diameter enlarged , this did cure the issue and has been totally fine for the last 5 years.
Only now has it started to stick and its only once in a while , so maybe the idle valve is an issue - not sure .
i have just purchased a new throttle cable also to see if it will help.

Ph1
No longer made by Renault.

They do but they cost £400 and a long wait. Mine took 3 months to arrive.

It will almost certainly be the spring losing its tension and sticking on the black cable disk holder. Cleaning can help but they always end up sticking back again after a while.

You can check by opening and closing the TB and seeing if there is a shiny bit on the spring where its comes into contact with the back holder.

172 cup
I'm going to strip mine tomorrow and give it a good clean if it's still the Same I'll be looking to get a new one if possible