ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 pulling to the left when accelerating and clunks the steering wheel back when braking again

Clio 172
When i accelerate and let go of the steering wheel the car moves in a straight line forwards but the steering wheel turns to the right and stays there until i press the brakes. When press the brakes (still with my hands off the wheel) there is a "CLUNK" sound and the steering wheel pops back into its original position.
Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be, or has anyone had similar problems?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get it checked mate. What work was done and since that work have you used the car much?

Clio 172
Is there play in the steering whilst the car is stationary?
Nope, the steering is pretty tight for a 17 year old car :)

There is only a clunk when starting from a standstill, and then one when braking. If i brake once the clunk is there, but if i do it again without having accelerated there is no clunk or jerking in the steering wheel. Very wierd.

Clio 172 Cup, 320CE
I had a similar issue, which ended up being the tie rod end being cross threaded so the nut wouldn't tighten up.

Clio 172
I had a look underneath it today with a skilled mechanic from work, and we found the steering rack to be loose, and after a bit of searching around its clear that these very well could be the culprits. I'll report back when i've replaced the old ones with some powerflex ones.

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Glad you sorted it. Was going to say check ball joint bolts! I had the same issue, loose bolt resulted in a clunk when starting off and braking. Took off the bolt and retightened to a bit above spec with some loctite on there, problem solved.